PDA

View Full Version : Possible problem with pcap?

tigerknight
04-04-2002, 06:44 PM
I haven't played EQ in a while so hadn't used SEQ. When I started up this time I got an incessant message to output so figured I'd update from CVS and try again. It's still doing it. I've checked my libpcap and it's the necessary version (0.62), so what might be causing this?

Reseting sequence cache
Building new pcap filter: EQ Client 192.168.1.4, Zone Server port 2669
Clearing Cache: Count: 0
Reseting sequence cache
Reseting sequence cache

tigerknight
04-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Whoops! Seq just died from a segfault that I can only guess came from this error message...

Rootuser
04-04-2002, 07:07 PM
I had similar problems after leaving the scene for a while.

First, I would begin by installing SEQ fresh. Remove everything associated with your old install. I found that unless the correct options are specified using CVS update, then sometimes you miss updating certain components.

I assume you build with g++3 so that wouldn't be the problem, however if you didn't you will have to do that.

Once I installed fresh (I saved my old .conf file) everything went fine.

Rootuser

tigerknight
04-04-2002, 08:20 PM
ya know, I really have no clue what the difference between the last build (which didn't work) and this one (which did work) is. I did the same thing on both attempts. Oh well. it appears to work again! (at least the pcap error message has stopped repeating into infinity)

fee
04-04-2002, 11:10 PM
Reseting sequence cache
Reseting sequence cache
Reseting sequence cache

This isn't really a bug. It is caused by the world server sending the data twice. The packet that triggers this message is that important cause if the client misses, guess what, you never zone.

fee

tigerknight
04-04-2002, 11:36 PM
How bizarre! Thanks for the info but that makes it even more confusing. It did happen when I zoned, but I've always zoned successfully and not had problems - so is the server really trying to keep sending those packets or is it showeq hung up on thinking every packet is a new zone?

fee
04-05-2002, 12:49 AM
The packet that is responsible for this is what we call the ZoneServerInfo packet. It basically contains all the information the EQ Client needs to establish a connection to the new zone server.

Technicly showeq should ignore the "repeat" of it. At this time the packet processing engine does not sequence or check for duplicate world server packets. It isn't hurting anything in showeq, so you can safely ignore it. I do have plans for the near future that will give showeq the ability to ignore the duplicate world server packets.

What I meant by this packet being "that" important to the EQ client is if you could block this packet from reaching the client you would never enter the new zone. The reasons we see duplicates of this packet are found within the details of the EQ protocol. This is something you would have to study and speculate about to understand. The only people(SOE) who could accuratly explain it probably aren't going to.

Hope that clears it up a bit,

fee

tigerknight
04-05-2002, 12:52 AM
Cool thanks :]