PDA

View Full Version : Lagging showeq?

tigerknight
04-05-2002, 01:53 AM
Why is it that my connection to EQ's server will be nice and fast, yet showeq is at least 10 seconds behind sometimes in reporting what happens? Isn't it able to keep up with the information once it has a key and is decoding?

Cryonic
04-05-2002, 07:57 AM
I don't know, depends what you are running it on, what windows you have open, what is going on in the background, etc...

Kinda hard to debug an issue of "it runs slow, what's wrong".

S_B_R
04-05-2002, 11:05 AM
Try running the top command in an open terminal. Top will give you listing of the processes currently running on your system with CPU and memory usage info.

Maybe post your the top 10 processes here and that will give us more info to work with...

tigerknight
04-05-2002, 04:08 PM
All it's running is the main window, 4fps, zoomed in somewhat to keep it from drawing the entire map. I checked my linux box and showeq is using maybe 15% of resources.

I didn't mean to make it sound like it does this all the time, cause it doesn't - it's just that sometimes it falls behind with no apparent reason that I can find.

Zaphod
04-05-2002, 05:28 PM
Try turning "Fast Machine" on if it isn't already. If it's an intermittent problem it may be due to you suddenly getting a bunch of updates (ie. someone does a massive AOE dammage spell that kills or otherwise harms a large group of monsters). If the poorly named "Fast Machine" is off then the map will try to paint on each spawn update/kill/delete. Also, if you truely want "Fast Machine" off then you should also set your fps to 1.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)