PDA

View Full Version : Sound (wav) file : Permission Denied

Toadman
04-06-2002, 06:42 AM
Showeq works great and alerts are registerd but when I try to set a WAV file to play it shows on the display SpawnAudioCommand file atemping to be accessed with the correct path but i get this message

/usr/share/sounds/phone.wave:Permission Denied

I know I must have something not set correctly.

Zaphod
04-06-2002, 09:48 AM
You need to specify which program is going to be used to play the alert and not just the audio file. So, if you were going to use esdplay to play the file you should have:

/usr/sbin/esdplay /usr/share/sounds/phone.wave

Unless, of course I'm completely mistinterpreting what "/usr/share/sounds/phone.wave" is, and it is actually a program.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

yyz
04-06-2002, 05:59 PM
/em points to Zaphod's post

What he said....and try man chown, man chmod if that doesn't work.

Toadman
04-07-2002, 05:10 AM
THANKS ...that did get the sound to working..intermittately ;)

Currently sometime i get the phone sound and sometime it show it try at a certian Mhz and bit rate failed then steps down to lower Mhz and bit rates untill it fails.

Thought it might be a sound drvier problem so went to Creative Labs (soundblaster Pro ) for the driver ....and they didn't have one. Iwill keep tracking this down.

If i manually enter the command it works everytime so it seems to be showeq having a hard time activating the wav file in some way.

Thank you for your help!

fryfrog
04-07-2002, 12:22 PM
a slight variation on what Zaphod wrote... try...

/usr/sbin/esdplay /usr/share/sounds/phone.wave &

notice the & sign at the very end, it might help.

Toadman
04-08-2002, 03:54 AM
Thanks again...I have the syntax with the "&" on the end. I even tried a suggestion to use "play" instead of "esdplay ". But it fails to open the file.

My promlem now is the intermittancy it always finds the file now and opens it ..its just some times it plays it and sometimes it does the "Mhz & Bit rate step down" failure. I am running a 266 Mhz box, so maybe Redhat 7.2 in combo with Showeq is just to much for the little box to process the request fast enough before some timeout occurs that starts the failure mode.

I am back from a year away and had Redhat 6.2 and showeq 2 or 3 running before ( same ) box and the sounds worked perfect then. Also manual commands play the sound every time.

I will continue to try things but as most here my Linux abilities are terrible ;)

fryfrog
04-08-2002, 11:22 AM
one other possible fix: make a script to play the file, ie...

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/esdplay /file/to/play.wav &

then, make it executable:

chmod 755 seqsound.sh

name it (ie: seqsound.sh) and call it from the showeq.conf file (replace the "/usr/bin/esdplay /blah/blah &" line with "/usr/local/bin/seqsound.sh"

Toadman
04-10-2002, 06:17 AM
Ok sorry for being a total newb.

Here is what I tried.

1. in gedit created a text file with

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/esdplay /usr/bin/pop.wav &

2. Saved file as /usr/bin/seqsound.sh

3. from root prompt (terminal) typed

chmod 755 seqsound.sh

4. tried testing from terminal

from /usr/bin prompt typed ... seqsound.sh

Received back

bash: /usr/bin/seqsound.sh : bad interpreter: Permission denied

5. from /usr/bin promtp typed

chmod 755 seqsound.sh

6. from /usr/bin promtp typed

seqsound.sh

Received back

Usage: /usr/bin/esdplay [Option] FILE
Plays the FILE on EsounD

I know its something iam doing stupid. Will keep trying and thanks for the help.

fryfrog
04-10-2002, 04:08 PM
to execute a file that is NOT in your normal path, put a "./" in front of it... ie: ./seqsound.sh

OR use the full path to it, ie: /usr/local/bin/seqsound.sh

Yueh
04-10-2002, 04:22 PM
That is BASH telling you your magic line is bad. Try:

#!/bin/bash

for the first line instead. If that doesn't work, try a 'which bash' and put whatever it comes back with in the magic line.

fryfrog
04-10-2002, 04:35 PM
doh, your right. i must have just glanced over the error and assumed :) try using /bin/bash instead of /bin/sh and see if that helps (like whats his face above me said).

Toadman
04-30-2002, 06:48 AM
OK... I was able to get the above mentioned file to execute and play the sound but I still get the stepdown error that starts with....Unsupported sound format:33

I am playing a PHONE.WAV file and my sound card is a SoundBlaster PRO(intergrated). Is there some RPM or special driver I need to download to remove the error?

Thanks for all the help :)

FuddRucker
05-04-2002, 10:48 AM
You sure it's a SB Pro and not some embedded chipset like the Intel 810 which just emulates SBPro support?

Might try finding out, I've never heard of a SBPro embedded in a mobo before. Could be drivers, at least it kindda sounds like it.

CelestialOne
05-07-2002, 08:11 PM
Hey, I have the same Problem.

What I just did now was I made a Script

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/play /file/to/startup.wav &

and saved it has seqsound.sh in /usr/bin/ and the sound wave is there also.

In Showeq.conf I change the Sound commands there to

"/usr/bin/play startup.wav &"

What I am doing wrong here?

I change the "0" to a "1" on # if 1 use sound device in the Showeq.conf file.

I just got a new SB Live 5.1 card for the system and I got regular sound and just finish installing mandrake 8.2 and Compiling the laters Showeq on it. Its runing good but, just the sound of Spawning Aleart is not working on me.

Any Advice would be great thanks Guys!

fryfrog
05-07-2002, 09:37 PM
the showeq.conf SHOULD read "/path/to/esdplay /full/path/to/wave/file.wav &"

OR if you are pointing to a script... "/full/path/to/script &"

CelestialOne
05-07-2002, 10:20 PM
Oh ok will work on that now and see what happen. Maybe, but ,d you think that chaning the "0" to a "1" for use of audio device was a good change? if not I can put that back to "0" again.

CelestialOne
05-07-2002, 11:10 PM
Ok me Back, and I just wanted to tell you Thank You! My friend.

Is all fix now, and there is no more trouble with my ShowEQ. Finaly I get to rest now from this nightmare of compiling and errors and Linux and what ever I been trow.

One thing, I got to say. I learn linux very good now and I love it even more, I will continue my studies with Linux and learn it beyong this and more. If That is the patch that I was chosen't to go. But, hey I want to thank you along with everyone else that took the time to help me with other problems.

Thanks All! I am a Happy Camper now, searching for my long , long long lost dream. Hehe. =)

Toadman
05-09-2002, 03:53 AM
The specs on the mother board state it is a intergrated SB Pro (HP Kayak WOrkstation.....but whatthe heck...the script file solved the intermitancy ;). It still does the step down failure but ALWAYS works ;). I don't know why (dont know alot about puters) but what ever the script does ( i think it provides just enough delay) it makes the sounds work perfect ;)

Thanks Fryfrog!! And also your comments on the general forum on the quick patch fix helped me too!!!!

Toadman
07-15-2002, 02:01 PM
I was able to fianlly get the stepdown failure to go away by going to sound under Settings--Multimedia---Sound and checking the "enable sound server startup"