PDA

View Full Version : Slowdowns while decoding with QT 3.0.3?

Wishbringer
04-08-2002, 05:34 AM
Hm, I experenced an issue after i tried to compile ShowEQ with newest library from Trolltech (qt-x11-free-3.0.3).

- Mapwindow isn't full black anymore, so that some spawns are badly visible now.
- Decoding (and finding decryption key) takes MUCH longer wit QT3.

Ok, in INSTALL it is recomended to NOT use QT3, BUT how can a GUI affect decoding time in such a huge way?

That's my question :cool:

After that try i converted back to qt-2.3.2.

e.g. am using gcc 3.0.4 optimized for i686 and both qt versions compiled with -thread (no rpm's, all handmade compiled :p )

Zaphod
04-08-2002, 07:10 AM
Wishbringer,
The map window not being fully black anymore is a side effect of the current issues with the configuration system. The behavior of QColor just happens to be different in this particular border case between Qt 2.x and Qt 3.x. This issue will be fixed by our migration to the new XML based configuration system.

As to decoding, I haven't noticed a particular delay in finding the encryption key, but I have noticed that it seems to stall somewhere during the decoding. The GUI effects decoding time because during the decode certain GUI updates may be caused. Also, Qt is used throughout the program for its container classes, i/o classes, thread handling, and many other things, not just for the GUI elements. This will be looked into at some point, just not sure when. I'm busy with a bunch of changes, and their is a patch tommorrow to potentially contend with.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)