PDA

View Full Version : networking question

flipper
04-08-2002, 12:28 PM
I have my Linux and Windows PCs networked as shown in the attached picture. I am not able to decode packets in SEQ. Is there a known issue with my network setup?

fyi, SEQ works fine when I hook the Linux and Windows box to the router. I moved the Linux box outside the router so I can run eqemu on it, but that's another story ;)

I have the routers IP# in my showeq.conf file. SEQ shows data packets (i.e. the count increases), but it doesn't display any data in the SEQ window.

Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

high_jeeves
04-08-2002, 12:34 PM
Is your router doing anything funny with the ports/IP addrs of the packets? Try doing a tcpdump when running EQ, and see what IP/port the packets are coming across as... That might head you in the right direction. In general, your topology looks like it should work fine for ShowEQ (assuming the hub in the diagram is actually a hub).

--Jeeves

flipper
04-08-2002, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the input Jeeves.

I'll give tcpdump a shot tonight to see what kind of garbling my router is doing to my datastream. The hub is actually a hub -- it's one that I have used with SEQ for the past 2 years.

flipper
04-10-2002, 10:53 PM
Ok, I did a tcpdump as follows:
tcpdump -i eth0 <real ip#2> | grep <real ip#2>

see the attached figure in first post to see what real ip#2 is.

tcpdump mostly showed data going from various EQ servers to my ip# and a few spurts of data going from my ip# to EQ servers. This really boggles me because it indicates that the sniffing is working.

Are there any explanations of why SEQ would show the packet count (at bottom of window) increasing, but fails to load maps or show data?

fryfrog
04-10-2002, 11:42 PM
i've seen posts from people who eventually tried replacing either their hub or their network card and it fixing it. some network cards might have buffers that are too small to handle the amount of traffic that going into promisc mode would see.

i dunno though, sounds odd to me. you probably WOULD still see traffic going both ways, even on a switch as i'm SURE there would be SOME broadcast traffic...