PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

cyrus2kg
04-09-2002, 11:46 PM
sorry but "hub" was under the 4 letter limit in search

ok so let me get this straight,

if you have a windows box connected to the internet, another windows box running EQ, and a linux box running SEQ all running through a switched hub SEQ will get no packets? If you replace the switched hub with a true hub SEQ will get packets?

if this is correct could anyone suggest a true hub w/ 8-16 ports?

I appreciate any feedback you may have.

high_jeeves
04-09-2002, 11:53 PM
Sigh... s-w-i-t-c-h.. yep.. more than three letters... I beleive there are roughly 749 (+/-) threads in the help forum which will answer your question...

Also, simple logic will answer this question if you know the difference between a hub and a switch... Sorry to be nasty, but there are atleast 4 threads on the front page which contain answers to your question..

--Jeeves

cyrus2kg
04-10-2002, 10:47 AM
wow thanks for the help!
ok then what is a good dumb hub to buy then shit for brains

high_jeeves
04-10-2002, 10:51 AM
1) dont use personal attacks just because you cant use the search button

2) That question has been answered in all of the threads which i mentioned above... looks like you still didnt bother to read them..

--Jeeves

Dedpoet
04-10-2002, 11:04 AM
To perhaps save another thread from circling the drain (/smile), I use a Netgear EN104TP 10Mbit hub and it works great.

Linksys Cable Router -> EN104TP -> EQ and ShowEQ

Just make sure not to plug the hub into the uplink port of the router. The EN104TP goes for about 25 bucks at your local Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. You could spend 10 or 15 bucks more and get a 10/100 hub, but that gets dangerous as you have probably seen in other threads - you have to make sure it's a real hub, or sometimes plug a 10Mbit device into it to make it work. If you're just playing EQ then 10Mbit is fine...your broadband connection is only 1 or 1.5Mbit anyway. You wouldn't want to stream video from box to box or pull 2 gig CAD files through it, but for SEQ it's a winner.

-Dedpoet

S_B_R
04-10-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by cyrus2kg
I appreciate any feedback you may have.
So I guess this actually wasn't a true statement?:rolleyes:

I just don't understand people that ask questions, then call the respondents names... Especially when the respondent gives them the correct answer... Oh well, another day another n00b I guess... :rolleyes: