PDA

View Full Version : N00b qestion on CVS and downloading ShowEQ...

Snide
04-10-2002, 03:17 AM
Need some help downloading ShowEQ.

I have been following a few guides but have constantly been getting stuck on the CVS download part.

I have used the following syntax:

export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq
cvs login

After I enter this i get prompted for the 'CVS Password'.
I hit 'enter' on this line and I get nothing.

I have tried to type in commands subsequent to this but nothing happens until i finally hit ctrl-c.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

fryfrog
04-10-2002, 03:55 AM
the following is how i check out showeq. first, you start with a "login" (you just press enter here). then, that is followed by a "check out" of the source code. then, i cd into the showeq dir and run a "prune" which gets rid of un-needed things (i think THIS particular thing is left over from the OLD version of seq, might not be important now). finally, i do every other cvs user a favor and log out.

once you have checked out the code once, all that is REALLY required is for you to goto the "showeq" dir (the one with the source, /root/showeq for me) and type "cvs -z3 update". the "-z3" is just the compression level, so you might get away with leaving that out. update means... duh, udpate :) it only patches things that have changed. it gets all the info it needs from files left in the dir from the last time you did a cvs checkout.

hope this helps a little...

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq co showeq
cd showeq
cvs update -P
cvs -d :pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq logout

fee
04-10-2002, 04:14 AM
Let offer the quick and dirty shortcut.

in a parent directory you want the showeq directory to be in, do the following.

'cvs -d:pserver:anonymous:@cvs.seq.sf.net:/cvsroot/seq co showeq'

'cd showeq'

now any time you want to make sure your copy is the latest and greatest, do the following in the showeq directory.

'cvs update'

There, that was easy, only 1 long command line that you only ever have to do ONE time and no silly ass CVSROOT environment variable. Yes you can skip the login step and no, the ':' after 'anonymous' and before '@' is not a typo.

enjoy
fee

high_jeeves
04-10-2002, 07:57 AM
Using fee's method, you still have to make sure you login first (only once per user on your linux box, ever.. it stores your CVS login info for you)

--Jeeves

Snide
04-10-2002, 04:56 PM
I tried a few of the things listed above to no avail.

When I run the CVS command am I supposed to see something on the screen? I am guessing it is supposed to show files downloading or soemthing. I get nothing, now NIC activity or anything, it just sits there. I also checked to see if any files were appearing in my directories. Noghing.

Could it be because I am behind a firewall with limited ports open? Would I get a connection error message or would I just get nothing?

Here is an extract from my terminal window:
<<<>>>>
[root@localhost seq]#
[root@localhost seq]#
[root@localhost seq]#
[root@localhost seq]# cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/
seq login
Logging in to :pserver:[email protected]:2401/cvsroot/seq
CVS password:

I can type anything here but nothing happens

... =/

cvs [login aborted: received interrupt signal
[root@localhost seq]#
<<<>>>>

I am guessing that my box is trying to make an outgoing connection on port 2401. If this is the case than it is almost guaranteed that this is my problem. I now suppose I have to either find a way to get my corporate firewall changed (not likely) or configure this linux box for dial-up.

On that note, can anyone give me a few tips on how to configure my Linux RedHat 7.2 box as a dial-up modem router with dynamic NAT so that I can have a private network for internet connetion sharing?

Thanks in advance.

Snide
04-10-2002, 06:39 PM
Guess what...
It was that dam firewall... ended up getting a modem and dialing out directly from the box.

Is there anything within RedHat that will allow me to configure it to route and do NAT? Or is this something I will have to look into a 3rd party product to do...

Thanks all....

fryfrog
04-10-2002, 08:03 PM
yes, linux will do ip masq'ing. www.linuxdocs.org, this isn't something these forums will help you with as there is much better help already out there.