PDA

View Full Version : INVALID PACKET errors

bonkersbobcat
04-11-2002, 02:30 AM
I ocaisionally but regularly get INVALID PACKET errors on my console when running SEQ:

INVALID PACKET: Bad CRC32 [ip address:port] -> [ip address:port] seq 0e00 len 56 crc32 (98b34e03 != 17ad9926)
This only started happening on the current codeline for SEQ (Version 4)

Does this mean the obvious (that I have IP packets with CRC errors on my wire)?

The reason I ask is that I run tcpdump often, and I don't ever recall seeing any similar warnings.

Any thoughts on if the error message is correct and if I should start taking a closer look at my networking gear?

SEQ and my network in general seem to run fine.

fee
04-11-2002, 04:37 AM
It means Showeq is capturing a packet that matches the pcap filter and as it is processed by decodePacket the checksum fails. This could be simply non-eq traffic or a corrupt eq packet. I think there are some defines so you can turn it off. Its not a big deal though.

fee

Southpaw
04-12-2002, 10:19 AM
I had this problem a while back.. it was caused by MS ISA server acting as my gateway/firewall. When I bypassed the ISA server, and used a traditional router everything started working. I suspect its a NAT related issue for many people.. some versions of NAT must change the packet enough that seq barfs on it.. but that is just a guess.

If I ran an older version of seq4, then the problem wasnt severe enough to prevent seq from working (crc errors were present, but seq still decoded).. but then in mid march some changes were made to packet.cpp that broke it all together..

I see alot of people claiming to get 'blank' screens after seq runs, and I think this could be a common issue for many of them. The key is to run seq from the console and watch for those crc errors.

Somone suggested a line fix in packet.cpp might help, but when I made the change, it didn't fix anything. You would have to search these forums to find the post with that fix in it...

SP

phatogre
05-11-2002, 12:23 AM
Its more than likely the hub/switch you are using. I had the exact same problem with using one of those cheepo linksys routers.

Its the switching fabric itself thats an issue, when seq box & eq machine is plugged into a seperate hub (uplinked off the linksys) the problem is solved. Hence...just the hub part of the linksys thats an issue, not its NAT/Router process.

Hope the above helps.