PDA

View Full Version : Problems decoding

evilshorty
04-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Since a few updates ago, I've been getting weird problems with decoding. While playing my main character, when I zone I get about 3 or 4 mobs decoded. Then all new spawns come in ok. Now, if I switch to an alt and log in ( without restarting SEQ ) everything works perfect. It only seems to be buggy on my main character.

I know the problem most likely has something to do with leftovers from a previous build but I'm not sure where / what I need to delete to start fresh. I try to do a "make clean" before every new update.

Any ideas?

-ES

devnul
04-11-2002, 03:06 PM
This brings to mind a question I have had for some time.

Why is that if you get a partial decode you will never get a full decode and must zone?

If the zone has not decoded yet, it may decode after a while.

If it gets a partial decode, the zone will never fully decode.

If it doesn't decode in a certain amount of time, it will never decode.

Some zones decode more readily than others, it seems related to activity in zone, but the correlation is not perfect.

Katta for example decodes reliably even tho is it frequently empty.

I guess I am interested in the general mechanics of how decoding happens that would account for all these things.

devnul

Cryonic
04-11-2002, 03:36 PM
In the case of a zone that only partially decodes, the reason that it doesn't fully decode (at least for me) is corrupt or incomplete capture of my initial zonein. The only way to fix it is to zone/camp out and come back in again.

I have never encountered a zone that wouldn't eventually decode. Longest decode I've seen is about 15 minutes and that's because I was just in the zone not killing anything and nobody popped in for that long.

Yueh
04-11-2002, 04:02 PM
And... the higher the datarate the more likely you are to miss part of the zone info. I'm assuming this is CPU speed and network hardware dependent too? Would it help to nice seq to higher priority? I'm not sure how that works but I haven't seen it mentioned so I thought I'd ask :)

Cryonic
04-11-2002, 05:01 PM
renicing SEQ would only help if some other app was eating up time that SEQ really needed to perform.

lower number, higher priority