PDA

View Full Version : Console/Gui

Banananose
04-13-2002, 08:30 AM
Hi-

I've been runnin SEQ on my second pc for quite awhile now with no problems. I just upgraded the graphics card from a Banshee to a Radeon (I also use this pc to dual play EQ). Now when I boot to linux, it comes up in a console mode instead of a GUI mode. I'm a linux noob and really need some help gettin this straightened out. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

B

Morannon
04-13-2002, 09:09 AM
If you're running XFree86 v4, edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and change the Driver entry in the graphics device section to "ati"

Banananose
04-13-2002, 09:11 AM
Thanks - I'll give that a shot if what I'm doing doesn't work. I've gotten some updated drivers from Gatos (Gatos.sourceforge.net); gonna give that a whirl.

-B

Banananose
04-13-2002, 09:15 AM
She sure tries. Flashes a bunch of times at local host login trying to get an X-window going, I think. Trying your suggestion now.

Banananose
04-13-2002, 09:22 AM
Didn't work. =/

Cryonic
04-13-2002, 09:28 AM
under RH, use Xconfigurator to reconfigure X.

Banananose
04-13-2002, 09:51 AM
Xconfigurator detects the radeon, I select no clockchip, and basic 16bit 1024x768, and it still doesn't work. Goddamned radeon, I think I'll go trade it for a handfull of magic beans.

casey
04-13-2002, 11:11 AM
after you run xconfigurator, go in and hand edit the conf, and doublecheck/add the following.

1) exact v and hsync ranges for your monitor
2) video card driver and video ram

Common reasons ive seen for X to fail, is using a generic monitor setup, and not getting any modes on your monitor that your video card can drive. Other is the driver not properly detecting the amount of video ram, and assuming it cant use many of the modes because of a lack of ram.

If you still cant X to work, do this.

startx > x.out 2>&1

then post the file x.out here, it will be everything X said while it tries to start, and will help us help you to get X running.

Banananose
04-13-2002, 01:33 PM
Upgrading to XFree86 4.2 got me out of the woods. Gui isn't the same - I can't get gnome to work right - but I'll muddle through =)

Thanks for the advice/suggestions!

B

fyodorst
04-15-2002, 10:35 AM
If you are having trouble with GNOME and are using a compatible distro I feel Ximian GNOME is very nice. You might try that... also find the program handles graphical logins (xdm i think) and place a sym link in the appropriate rc dir. On debian its

ln -s /etc/init.d/xdm /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm
and
ln -s /etc/init.d/xdm /etc/rc3.d/S99xdm

depending on your default runlevel. this will enable graphical logins