PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Spawns?

bonkersbobcat
04-18-2002, 02:16 AM
I have noticed spawns on the spawn list and map that don't appear in the EQ client. This seems to have started for me a couple of patches ago. Anyone else noticing this?

Note that this is not the problem with a dead mob that SEQ has lost track of, these mobs show up on the map and sometimes move, but are not visable in the EQ client.

Cryonic
04-18-2002, 02:33 AM
and what race are they? If they aren't showing up in EQ then they might be invisible mobs that are there as placeholders for something else (either in game or yet to come).

Iceclad is a great example:
No Wood Here:50:Invisible Man:Warrior
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Placeholder for the once a month pop of the planks needed for the BFG quest.

bonkersbobcat
04-18-2002, 04:49 PM
Sorry should have specified. The are normal mobs, they don't appear to be the special placeholder and trigger mobs that you see elsewhere.

Specifically the ones I have been noticing are Drolvargs in DL. They are not named, nor do they have a # in the name.

fyodorst
04-18-2002, 05:01 PM
i've seen a few of them, they usually never decode and remain unknown. i have noticed some spawns actually outside the map borders, and they are purple in color and lvl 99... either way i'd just ignore it

bonkersbobcat
04-18-2002, 06:42 PM
The ones I am seeing do decode and have regular levels, they just don't show up. If I had to guess I would say that SEQ messed up the location information, they are probably in the zone visible somewhere, just not where the map indicates.

This is not a complaint in any way, I just have not seen this historically, and am wondering if there is something new in the data stream that may be occasionally confusing SEQ as to location or mob identity.

Cryonic
04-18-2002, 06:47 PM
try turning off "Animate Spawn Movement" and see what happens.

DragonRider
04-18-2002, 10:15 PM
I read recently on the newsgroup "alt.games.everquest" that this may be how Verant/SOE is detecting those who are using SEQ. By spawning an invisible MOB (with decent loot) that shows up in the SEQ client but not the EQ client, the GMs can look for a pattern of who in the zone runs to or attacks the MOBs that don't show up on track, can't be seen normally, and are only visable on SEQ.

NobodyImportant
04-19-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by DragonRider
I read recently on the newsgroup "alt.games.everquest" that this may be how Verant/SOE is detecting those who are using SEQ. By spawning an invisible MOB (with decent loot) that shows up in the SEQ client but not the EQ client, the GMs can look for a pattern of who in the zone runs to or attacks the MOBs that don't show up on track, can't be seen normally, and are only visable on SEQ.

Dragon Rider, I can understand running to the spawn, but attacking a mob that you can not see is certainly impossible.

As far as the drolvarg spawn in DL, I noticed there is a drolvarg spawn at the same location as the VP quest mob spawn in DL, but it is nowhere to be found. I forgot to look at the Z-coordinate on my display, but I bet that it is either burried in the mountainside or floating high above.

DragonRider
04-19-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by NobodyImportant

I can understand running to the spawn, but attacking a mob that you can not see is certainly impossible.

True. After I made that post, it occured to me that it's impossible to "select" a mob that's not visible in the EQ client window. Just my paranoia showing. :D

NobodyImportant
04-19-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by NobodyImportant

Dragon Rider, I can understand running to the spawn, but attacking a mob that you can not see is certainly impossible.

As far as the drolvarg spawn in DL, I noticed there is a drolvarg spawn at the same location as the VP quest mob spawn in DL, but it is nowhere to be found. I forgot to look at the Z-coordinate on my display, but I bet that it is either burried in the mountainside or floating high above.

I just checked it out, there is a drolvarg growler in the NE corner of DL, his Z cordinate is -205 and mine was 300. I journeyed down to the lowest point I could find, and sure enough the lowest Z-cord I could get to was at about 0. That puts the drolvarg deep in the mountainside.