PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo Linux & ShowEQ

Ratt
04-19-2002, 12:16 PM
Well, after one false start I got ShowEQ to run under Gentoo Linux (http://www.gentoo.org) with minimal fuss.

Gentoo has to be the best Linux package I have ever come across. The installation is slick and the portage system absolutely blows RPMs, DEB's and every other packaging system I've come across out of the water.

Gentoo isn't for the faint of heart though. The whole idea behind Gentoo is that it installs only what you need/want. So, you have to install every daemon/utility/function that you want manually. This is a painless process with the portage system, however. The very basic install is a 15MB disc and everything... and I do mean everything is built from scratch and compiled on your computer. I reccomend getting the stage3 disc, which is about 115MB, it will save you oodles of time compiling.

Once you have a stage3 system, there are a few things you will need to do to get SEQ working.

In order, they are:

1. emerge kde - This will take about 9 hours to compile on a PIII 600. It will compile the latest XFree86 and KDE 3.0
2. emerge cvs
3. cd /usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc
4. ebuild gcc-3.0.4-r3 merge
5. ftp qt-2.3.2 from troll tech
6. Compile qt 2.3.2 as described elsewhere (-thread)
7. cvs co showeq and compile

That's the basic steps needed to get it working. After all is said and done, you will have the fastest showeq and linux distribution on the planet.

I can't tell you how blazingly fast Gentoo is compared to RedHat 7x and Mandrake. They are just plain slugs comparitively. I highly reccomend this distro for intermediate to advanced users. Beginning will probably have some trouble with this, but it's a GREAT way to learn if you have the time and patience.

casey
04-19-2002, 03:34 PM
and the portage system absolutely blows RPMs, DEB's and every other packaging system I've come across out of the water.sounds like a challenge to me, i'll take a swing in favor of debian here.

Gentoo isn't for the faint of heart though.nor is debian

The whole idea behind Gentoo is that it installs only what you need/want. So, you have to install every daemon/utility/function that you want manually. This is a painless process with the portage system, however. The very basic install is a 15MB discsame with debian, the base package (smallest installable system) is 15 megs, everything above that is opt-in in a way, you need to install it manually. The base package is installable over the network as well, 2 floppies are all you need to get debian started.

and everything... and I do mean everything is built from scratch and compiled on your computer.so far this is the only real "plus" over debian i've seen. Debian gives you a choice to compile everything yourself or to install binary packages.

Once you have a stage3 system, there are a few things you will need to do to get SEQ working.

1. emerge kde - This will take about 9 hours to compile on a PIII 600. It will compile the latest XFree86 and KDE 3.0 i hope kde isnt the only choice here :).

apt-get install kde

2. emerge cvsapt-get install cvs

3. cd /usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc apt-get install gcc-3.0 g++-3.0

5. ftp qt-2.3.2 from troll tech
6. Compile qt 2.3.2 as described elsewhere (-thread) This step is the same unless you grab the apt sources i pasted in the other forum, then just
apt-get install qt-gcc3

7. cvs co showeq and compile same

That's the basic steps needed to get it working. After all is said and done, you will have the fastest showeq and linux distribution on the planet. debatable :)

the above commands could all be changed to apt-get -b source to grab and build source packages, rather than installing binaries only, but i will concede that going full source with debian is a little tougher than gentoo appears to be, but not by much :)

Xaanin
04-29-2002, 11:19 AM
I believe what is different between Debian and Gentoo is that everything in gentoo is optimized for 686 cpus, while debian is for 386 cpus and above? Though you could build everything from sources and add the 686 optimization, but this would take some time.

Cryonic
04-29-2002, 11:53 AM
Actually Gentoo is a source only distro, so the code is always optimized to whatever processor you are running (486, 586, 686, etc...). Debian can be done this way too (read discussions of this on my local LUG mailing list) through apt.

Xaanin
04-29-2002, 01:08 PM
Cryonic, you can get their "Stage 3 Tarball" which comes with some things precompiled, which I believe is compatible with all kind of 586 and above CPUs, so not optimized for 686 CPUs. Or am I wrong?

a_corpse00
05-01-2002, 05:00 PM
The stage 2 and 3 image is for i686 only.

The stage 1 image is for other CPU architectures.

Ratt, thanks for giving heads up to Gentoo. I really like it. :)

Stroker
05-21-2002, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the Distro. I'm pretty much a lurker here, have registered a couple of times to post a question but can never seen to remember the user id and/or password I used when the next time I want to post rolls around. Been useing SEQ for about a year and think its a great tool. I've pretty much always used RedHat since version 5 (I think, Might have been 4). I've been looking for something a bit less bulky since my current linux box is a PIII 550 laptop I figure that RedHat in its zest to be compatible with so many different peices of hardware was somewhat bloated. I spent the weekend figuring out how to get Gentoo loaded and configured on my box and finished compiling KDE / X yesterday afternoon. It seems to run GREAT. Now I just need to get GCC and QT compiled/installed and grab the newest SEQ.

Thanks again for the heads up.. this was the most fun I've had with Linux since I was a newbie trying to get my first box up.

Cheers,
Stroker

fryfrog
05-21-2002, 09:19 PM
i have to pipe in and agree with Stroker. it was the most fun i've had setting up a linux box in a long time :)

after overcoming a few small problems (they changed the rsync server right before i downloaded the iso) i have emerged victorios. i even fixed a kernel that only booted one out of 5 times by removing the /dev/pts filesystem in kernel config.

Dedpoet
06-05-2002, 12:32 PM
Ratt, fryfrog, Stroker, etc - is there a reason you do an ebuild on gcc 3.0.4 instead of just an emerge?

4. ebuild gcc-3.0.4-r3 merge

I have Gentoo up and running without X and am having fun playing around with it. I'm not going to emerge KDE until I get home becuse I'm bandwidth impaired here and it would have taken over an hour just to pull the package down. I was just curious why the ebuild step when all of the others are emerges.

[Edit: I think I answered my own question...gcc 3.0.4 has an ebuild script in its portage directory, which looks like it does a lot of Weird Stuff(tm) during the build. If there is another reason, feel free to reply though.]

fryfrog
06-05-2002, 11:34 PM
i believe (and i could be wrong) that emerge would work BUT i also believe it would REPLACE your current version. i think that by using the ebuild <package> merge it puts both in at the same time (which is what you want UNLESS you did your stage 1 stuff with gcc-3.1).

make sure you "emerge rsync" after chaning the rsync settings so you are putting in the most recent version of kde (3.0.1 now).

i have 2.95, 3.0 and 3.1 of gcc all on the same system, i think because i used ebuild and not emerge :)

Stroker
06-06-2002, 03:30 AM
I did the Ebuild so that I could be "sure" to get gcc-3.0.4, was rather new to Gentoo at the time of that post. I've since rebuilt the entire system so that everything is complied with gcc-3.0.4 and no other version exists on my machine. If you didn't know, you can limit the versioning portage will use by changing the values in files. It worked out really well for SEQ as I was able to tell Portage to only use gcc-3.0.4 amd Qt-2.3.2 and SEQ built perfectly without any special Exports or changes to any path statements now I can update Gentoo without being concerned about borking SEQ.

Stroker

Dedpoet
06-06-2002, 06:42 AM
I was also checking out the ebuild scripts for QT and they have one for 2.3.2. It even configures it with all of the options that Zaphod suggested. I have to rebuild my system again because I was skimpy on the partition size and KDE won't emerge, but I think I may try the ebuild instead of pulling the tarball from Trolltech. It could make replacing 2.3.2 with 3.x easier when it is ready. Also, if I'm not mistaken, you still need 3.x because KDE 3.0.1 is dependant upon it. Stroker, you said you're only using 2.3.2, is that only for SEQ? Don't you need 3.x to build KDE 3.0.1?

Sorry, I don't mean to turn this into a Gentoo board...I'll keep it to just this thread. Ignore at your descretion. :)

Stroker
06-06-2002, 07:30 AM
I dont use KDE, I'm a Fluxbox user. Flux seems to run great with QT-2.3.2 so until I have some problem I'm going to leave Gcc and Qt with only the versions SEQ needs installed.

On my old Redhat Box (prior to Gentoo) everytime I would have a problem compiling something I would always wonder if it had used the right QT or GCC. This way theres no doubt. When SEQ is known to run with a newer version of either Qt or Gcc I will bump up the versions in the Make.Profile files and update. That way Emerge will see that all the variables and paths get properly updated. Maybe I'm a bit lazy but with all of the other work that goes into maintaining Gentoo (or any Linux) if I can skip this I'm happy to do so.

Stroker

JackDaRipper
06-08-2002, 09:49 AM
actually casey, as a long time debian user (bout 3 years if time using it at work counts, found out about it there) I'd say Gentoo is a killer system... after working with it for a week I'd say this is hands down probally the BEST system I've ever used. This is considerably faster than debian and it gets rid of the worst of teh hassel in debian of compiling the source packages, it not only downloads them, it sets them up, turns on optim you've spec'd for your system and checks all the dependancies and installs each of those with dependancy checks in the correct order for compiling... As linux distributions go for the intermediate to advanced user, this one is a step ahead of the rest. Rock or Sorcerer might be able to compete speed wise, but I don't know.
The way portage works makes me not only forget about apt, but makes me glad to do it :P

The single best praise I can give this distribution is, It has all the package managment power of debian, and the speed of building your linux machine from scratch specifically for your arch.

Good stuff. I'm really blown away.

casey
06-10-2002, 06:33 AM
wasnt really trying to put down gentoo in my post, just play the devils advocate a bit. let the masses using rpm distros know they have much better alternatives.

I mainly use debian myself, as apt really is a nice tool, but i always did like rolling LFS. It was just painful to manage the software installed with LFS.

My main box is running gentoo now, started with the 1.3a stage 1 tarball and have my whole system built against gcc 3.1. Im finding gentoo be be a nice mix of debian and LFS. I'm sure i would put BSD in that list if i were more familiar with the bsd ports system :)

maintaining packages built from source is my only real gripe with debian, and gentoo fills that gap very nicely.

Wolffe
07-12-2002, 06:32 AM
I recently installed Gentoo. I am having an issue when i try to ./configure seq, it saying i dont have gcc3 installed but i do. I have done export CXX=g++3 and CC=gcc3. what am i missing? I am also starting to wonder if QT is going to act like it isnt installed too. If someone could help me out i would greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: I was reading back through this post... How do i tell portage to only use gcc3 and QT?? Thanks in advance.

Dedpoet
07-12-2002, 07:45 AM
If you type "which gcc", what do you get? If you type "gcc" and then hit "tab" twice, do you see more than one version of gcc available? What does "gcc -v" show after you export the variables?

You could also emerge the gentoolkit package for a great utility called qpkg. Running "qpkg -I" (I think) will show you all packages you have installed. Make sure gcc3 is in there.

fryfrog
07-12-2002, 08:48 AM
you need to goto the dir with the ebuild file of gcc-3.1 and do "ebuild gcc-3.1-something.ebuild merge"

that will merge gcc 3.1 but preserve your normal compiler. then just download the qt source as normal and configure it.

in gentoo, gcc3 is called "gcc-3.0" or "gcc-3.1" depending on which one your emerged.

link129
07-12-2002, 10:09 AM
Has anyone thought of making a ebuild? I've been tossing the idea around. Seems pretty straight forward.

domesticbeer
07-12-2002, 10:31 AM
I noticed that Ratt has mentioned in another thread that he hopes no one ever does do an ebuild of SEQ. I for one would agree with Ratt on this.

fryfrog
07-12-2002, 10:48 AM
it poped into my head for a moment, but you would really need a tar.gz of the source as it doesn't seem to be setup to use cvs. personally, i don't think it would be that horrible of an idea.

getting showeq up and running is by FAR not the hardest part of using gentoo. i seriously doubt that the people who can compile their kernel during install, mount drives and do a BUNCH of non-gui related install stuff would be weeded out by the "easyness" of cvs'ing and compiling showeq/qt.

i do NOT think an ebuild would make it to "easy" for anyone to use showeq, as installing gentoo is FAR FAR harder than getting showeq to work ;)

Wolffe
07-12-2002, 01:35 PM
Thanks for all the help gang. Gcc -v reports 2.95. I do have gcc3.1 installed but not sure why its showing 2.95.

Also I tried to emerge gentoolkit but it says that the digest /usr/portage/dev-util/dialog/files/digest-dialog-0.9_beta20020519 appears to be corrupt. aborting.

Not sure what that is about =(

But I am only on the 3rd go around for installing Gentoo LoL. I like the distro and I think once I get used to it i will love it.

EDIT:

I was able to get it to recognize that I have gcc/g++ 3.1 installed but now It says i dont have QT LoL. I guess my problem is, i dont know where QT went when i emerged it, therefore setting up variables is going to be kinda hard.

fryfrog
07-12-2002, 01:54 PM
during you first go at installing, be SURE you do an "emerge --clean rsync" so you start out compiling the most recent version of what ever software you use. i made the mistake of installing half of my stuff, then updating the portage tree then compiling the other half... that sucked :)

or you get everything installed and do an emerge --clean rsync, then "emerge -u world system -p" and you have to RE compile everything you just spend 8 hours compiling ;)

if you are having problems with ebuilds, try doing an emerge --clean rsync. there have been one or two packages that must have gotten released w/o full testing... they fix it pretty quick.

as for gcc, i already posted it should be "gcc-3.1" not gcc3 or gcc (or it might be gcc-3.0).

fryfrog
07-12-2002, 01:56 PM
okay, your QT problem...

qt goes into /usr/qt/2 BUT you HAVE to compile it with gcc-3.1 as well. and i don't think you have. so go into the /usr/qt/2 dir and change the configs file like it says to in the walk through, do a make clean then compile it again with gcc-3.1.

if you have to drop back to rh 7.2 or mdk 8.1/2 don't feel bad, gentoo is pretty hard :) i couldn't get it working on my laptop and it took me a couple installs to really learn it and do the install right :)

Wolffe
07-12-2002, 02:05 PM
Thanks Fry,

I have QT3.0.4 on here, and I am thinking i may have issues with it, but i figured i would give it a shot.

I was able to ./configure SEQ but i had to use the no qt validate flag, and I am doing the make now, not sure if this will run or how it will run if it does. But at least I am progressing.

My next step is to get KDE off of here and go to fluxbox i think.

fryfrog
07-12-2002, 02:09 PM
a.) you STILL have to compile both showeq and qt with gcc-3.1.
b.) you do not need to get rid of kde to use fluxbox, just do "emerge fluxbox" then restart your x login thing and it will magically appear as an option.

Wolffe
07-12-2002, 02:29 PM
Hmm, I think i just found a problem... I believe since i did an emerge KDE before I did the gcc3.1 I have QT compiled with gcc2.95 =(

I am thinking if i reemerge QT it will recompile with 3.1

Bummer for me =(

fryfrog
07-12-2002, 02:39 PM
NO!!!!

hehe, are you reading my posts at all?

gento used gcc-2.9x for EVERYTHING for a reason. if you spontaniously switch from 2.9 to 3.1 ALL YOUR SHIT WILL BREAK!!!

if you want to exclusivly use gcc-3.1 on EVERYTHING, you have to start out during install doing this at stage1. that is because libraries built with gcc-2.x are NOT compatible with ones built with gcc-3.x. so if you re-built qt with gcc3, kde wouldn't work.

get it?

# cd /usr/portage/x11-libs/qt/
# ebuild qt-2.3.2-r1.ebuild fetch
# ebuild qt-2.3.2-r1.ebuild unpack

find the dir that it sent qt-2.3.2 to and edit the congis/config-g++-linux file and change all "gcc" and "g++" to "gcc-3.1" and "g++-3.1"

then...

# cd /usr/portage/x11-libs/qt/
# ebuild qt-2.3.2-r1.ebuild compile
# ebuild qt-2.3.2-r1.ebuild install
# ebuild qt-2.3.2-r1.ebuild qmerge

this SHOULD do it for you...
to make SURE you have gcc-3.1, do:

# emerge search gcc

you should see somethign about 3.what ever.

if you don't, do this:

# cd /usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/
# ebuild gcc-3.1.1.ebuild merge

Wolffe
07-12-2002, 02:57 PM
ahh Thank you very much, i misunderstood before but now it seems clear =)

I am glad I checked the posts again i was in the middle of emerging qt again.

I am thinking that rebuilding from stage one maybe a good idea. I did start with stage 3, but with what I have learned so far I believe I can do a stage one install and be back up and running sometime tomorow (p3 600)

Am I better off using QT 2 rather than QT 3? I mean overall versus just for SEQ

fryfrog
07-12-2002, 03:07 PM
no, get both
that is what ebuild vs. emerge is for

emerge will put it on, but ebuild will let you put both on :)

qt2 for showeq only, qt3 for kde 3.

i have NOT done a stage one using 3.1, so i can offer no help there. i personally just have gcc-3.1 installed along side of gcc-2.96 (same with qt2, i have qt2, qt2-gcc3, qt3 and qt3-gcc3).

Dedpoet
07-12-2002, 08:04 PM
I have done a stage1 with gcc 3.1. It takes a -very- long time, but there is a great guide on the Gentoo boards. If you search the development forum on this board for "gentoo" you'll find a post I started and I have the guide I used linked in there. What takes so long is that you essentially are building gcc, building your libraries, and then rebuilding both of them again. That takes several hours. Throw X, KDE, and Qt in the mix and you're talking 18+ hours of compiling. My system has only gcc 3.1 and only Qt 3.0.4 on it. It took forever, but I learned a lot and it's very rewarding. Check for that post in Deveolpment if you're feeling motivated.

-Dedpoet

fryfrog
07-12-2002, 11:03 PM
i have a question that should probably be on the gentoo forums...

i did a "qpkg -d -vv" and it shows a LOT of dup packages. i have un-installed the older version of the dupes using "emerge <oldpackage> unmerge" but i was wondering why "emerge -c" doesn't catch them. is it just a db inconsistency? or am i tarded? or what?

fryfrog
07-13-2002, 12:22 AM
if anyone happens to update gcc-3.1 to gcc-3.1.1 in gentoo, don't forget to run etc-update. i forgot to do this and couldn't run or compile seq. i thought it was because qt needed to be re-compiled with gcc-3.1.1... but until i fixed the config file even qt wouldn't compile ;)

i did re-build qt-2.3.2 using ebuild instead of by hand, it isn't very hard. if running etc-update doesn't fix seq/compiling seq just re-compile qt-2.3.2 with latest gcc-3.1.1 should work.

but i suspect if i had done my etc-update first i wouldn't have needed to re-compile qt-2.3.2 :)

Dedpoet
07-13-2002, 08:21 AM
fryfrog, I can't answer your first question, but as to your second issue, I -always- run etc-update after I install anything big (i.e. something that does things to /etc). Sometimes the ebuild script will tell you to, and sometimes it won't, but it never hurts.

fryfrog
07-13-2002, 08:41 PM
got another question:

in rh and mdk and most other distro's (besides solaris i think) the "home" and "end" keys take me to the beginning/end of a line (in the console). is there something i have to do to make this work in gentoo?

domesticbeer
07-14-2002, 12:16 AM
I followed the orignal thread about starting from a stage1 and building with gcc-3.1 . I have the system running and when i do an
emerge --pretend kde

I get this error

!!Error: couldn't find match for dev-lang/python in kde-base/kdelibs-3.0.2

If i do a gcc -v i get gcc version:3.1

Any thoughts??

Dedpoet
07-15-2002, 07:27 AM
That error is because kde needs the python package, and it can't find an ebuild scricpt for it. You should have a /usr/portage/dev-lang/python directory.

Have you gotten the newest portage tree recently? Try doing an "emerge --clean rsync". That will update your portage tree to the most current (and should fix that problem with python), then try kde again. I recommend starting the kde emerge before you go to bed...it takes a long time. Hopefully you have broadband too because the packages are large.

See if that helps. I had the same error for a different package when I did my install and it turned out there was an issue in my portage tree. The emerge --clean should take care if it...it nukes your current tree and replaces it, so any problems should hopefully go away.

domesticbeer
07-15-2002, 09:36 PM
did the emerge --clean rsync and that worked.

CoolGuyEQ
07-16-2002, 09:04 AM
One thing to remember too:

export QTDIR=/usr/qt/2

Gentoo does things a bit differently when it comes to libraries like that. QT-3.0.x is in /usr/qt/3 for those adventurous types :)

CGEQ

domesticbeer
07-17-2002, 06:59 AM
Thanks to you 2 I have a working Gentoo 1.2 build w/ GCC3.1. WOOT. Damn it is fast.....

And it only took me 8 installs to do it (keep changing how I wanted to build it)

Dedpoet
07-17-2002, 08:08 AM
Congrats :)

I think I did 4 installs. First one didn't go so well, second one burned down and sank into the swamp, third one was my first attempt at using 3.1 and was a disaster, but the fourth one! The fourth one is beautiful.

Glad I could be of help to you.

RavenCT
07-17-2002, 09:39 PM
So far my first Gentoo build has burned down, fallen over, and also sank into the swamp, but my latest version (so far) has stood up!

So, that's what I'll get, the strongest version of Gentoo/Linux and SEQ in this here swamp!

Sorry Python lovers, I couldn't resist the reference :D

Yueh
07-18-2002, 08:05 AM
I have to throw in my 2cp. Gentoo is awesome :D Got it up and running without much of an issue. Well, I did learn that ALSA sound is evil but I digress... I'm tempted to write up a concise install faq but I think that would make it almost too easy :)