PDA

View Full Version : downgrading redhat 7.3

sakshale
04-19-2002, 05:19 PM
I'm installing a RedHat 7.3 beta system. As part of my testing I attempted to install ShowEQ. Unfortunately, I have run into a minor catch 22.

QT 3.0.3 is installed by default and may not be uninstalled as it will break many, many dependancies. The QT 2.3.1 runtime libraries are there, for previously compiled software, but not the development stuff.

Before I pull down the source and build QT 2 off to one side, I thought I would ask (FAQ / doning fire shield) if QT 3 support would be coming 'soon'?

[I tried searching on variations of qt3 - but nothing popped up.]

high_jeeves
04-19-2002, 05:26 PM
Funny.. I searched for QT3.0.3, and the answer was right on top.

--Jeeves

fryfrog
04-19-2002, 05:28 PM
from what i have read, the ONLY thing that really matters is that QT2/3 be compiled with gcc-3.x.x

so, you don't actually have to uninstall ANY of what rh installs, just download the qt you want (qt-2.3.2 is the recommended, but qt-3.0.3 SHOULD work). the KEY is to compile it with gcc-3.0.x (i don't know what it is in rh 7.3).

in mdk 8.2, its gcc-3.0.4 so i suspect that rh 7.3 might be something similar.

sakshale
04-22-2002, 03:21 PM
Aaahhh.... As Jeeves noted, it was staring me in the face. The problem is not that qt3 is installed, but that the distribution rpms were not built with gcc3.

I must have seen a dozen mentions of that factoid, and let them slip right by me...

/emote ducks head in shame and walks away muttering to himself.