Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDEA: Character Stat/Equipment Dump

Lightbulb IDEA: Character Stat/Equipment Dump

I had this working fine before the last patch.

Whenever I would zone, two files were created in the showeq directory:

PlayerName.playerinfo
    PlayerName.iteminfo

It would list player stat info, and list every item equipped, in inventory and in the bank with most pertinent stats.

Oh, and to clarify ... PlayerName would change based on whomever you had logged in at the time, the same file named PlayerName.xxx was not just rewritten etc.

Is this worth trying to get into the build? If so, someone help me out with who I need to get in contact with.

that actually sounds like a very nice idea. would be great to just be able to log in my mule and get a copy of what was on them w/o actually having to watch the screen. if you wanted you could even toss it out in a nice format (say, maybe CSV or something) so it could be imported into excel or some other spreadsheet proggie.

Thumbs up

Woot, nice idea!!! I would like that very much

/cheer

- Lord Crush

cd into your showeq directory and issue the following command (assuming no new source files):
    Code:
    $ cvs diff -u >mypatch.diff
    And then follow the Patches link above and submit it as a patch.

Enjoy,
    Zaphod (dohpaZ)
    Chief Software Engineer of the Apocalypse.
    http://showeq.doomed.to/
    SourceForge.net user: dohpaz.

Personal thank you donations are now accepted.

Ok, will do when I get a second.

I tried to:

Code:
    cvs -z3 update
    and it hosed all my old code, so I had to shutdown vmware and discard changes -- thank GOD.

I'll do the diff, submit the patch, then cvs -z3 update.

Oh, this makes it a BREEZE to update things like Magelo, or just to keep around.

I figure I could use it when I eventually go to sell my accounts. With 9 post 50 alts -- it'd be hell otherwise.
    ---
    I would, however, not recommend listing everything on account sales as that would be very easy for VI to track you down if you list *everything*

HanzO

NO! That is not how you use CVS.. it will not let you check in your code until you have the latest version (unless you do a force, which will break the rest of ShowEQ)... You must update, then manually merge in the changes, then add a patch...

Check out the information found on www.cvshome.com for merging.

The basic gist is, anywhere where you changed code and somebody else changed code since your last update you will have to merge...

You will see sections like

<<<<<<<< FileName

*code*

=======

*code*

>>>>>>>> <version>

you have to manually merge the two code blocks, then patch...

--Jeeves

But shouldn't a:

Code:
    cv3 -z3 update
    Update my files with the correct portions off sourceforge and comment out what ISN'T on sourceforge (ie -- my stuff?)

Or, do I need to update, then retool everything, then do a diff and submit it as a patch? Please tell me no.

Yep.. thats the way a multi-lock source control system works... it marks in the files where any merge conflicts are.. it is us to you to do the merge, then submit the patch..

When you update, it wont delete anything you have added, it will simply mark out conflicts.. you need to go through and look at each conflict, and make sure it is fixed... remember, in the May 8th patch, the player, spawn, and item structs all changed... if you submitted without compensating for those changes, your code wouldnt work... at the very least, one of the dev's will have to go through all your code and update it before submitting the patch.. you can do a better job of it than one of the devs, because you know the code you wrote... unfortunately you just happened to write a bunch of code that was right in the middle of a huge change in those structures....

--Jeeves

The odd thing was, when I did a cvs -z3 update, I saw like 5 files got updated was all.

I briefly looked at them but noticed all *my* code was no longer there. Not commented out, nothing at all.

So I am still confused. Which is correct:

a)
    1) cvs -z3 update
    2) negotiate 'commented diffs'
    3) cvs diff ...
    4) submit patch

or

b)
    1) tar it / make a backup
    2) cvs -z3 update
    3) manually recode it all from my backups
    4) cvs diff ...
    5) submit patch

if B is the correct answer can you give me the syntax to do a recursive diff on files having the same name but in two directories, like: ~/seqbefore and ~/seqafter, so I can see the changes a bit easier?

Hmm... cvs -z3 update should not delete your code... it never has with mine...

Specifically.. look in the cvs manual here:

http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_16.html#SEC152

Take a look at section A.16.2... it will show you how to read the letters before the filename when you do an update, so you can see which ones have merged, and which have conflicted... At the very least, it should save all your changes in the .# file..

after you do a cvs -z3 update, do a cvs diff... you should see your changes show up in the diff (probably with a bunch of other conflict crap).. if you dont, you may have done a cvs export to get your files instead of a cvs co?

I've been working with CVS almost every day for 5 years now, so I'm quite certain this is the way it works..

1) cvs update
    2) <fix any conflicts>
    3) cvs diff <will show you exactly what is different between your code and the repository>
    4) cvs commit <or in this case.. generate a patch file and upload>

Here is another excellent source for your perusal:

http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_10.html#SEC85

--Jeeves

Ok, I read the sections...

So, in theory, just a plain old cvs update should just take my edited files and merge them with the current version. Which I then have to manually negotiate any differences... correct?

Exactly...

--Jeeves

Thanks for all your non-flame information.

I'll get a patch up as soon as I can, have a lot of work this weekend to muddle out.

I only flame people who dont try to do things for themselves...

--Jeeves

Hmmm HanzO are you still working on this, if you dont i would try it myself, but my knowledge of c is 10 years old ...

- Lord Crush

Thread Information