Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all board natzis (rant alert)

Calling all board natzis (rant alert)

Welcome :-)
    I recently had the last straw with EQ, and i closed my account. I've cleaned off my linux box and sold it, and am now cleaning out my bookmark file getting rid of the EQ sites i will no longer need, and i thought i'd just put one last post here before i delete this one two.

Firstly i have to say thanks to the developesr of showeq, you did a brilliant job, and i enjoyed your product it's the only thing that kept me playing as long as i did, keep up the good work. It's so nice to see such devotion and hard work put into a free product, as well as the outstanding way in which you listen to your user base and develop it as your users want (although i guess if a lot of your developers are also your user base then not so supprising :-). If only the people that made the commercial products could do this well!

Secondly, well done to those people that are posting usefull information here on the boards, both in the form of help, and also FAQ's and user guides, as well as ideas for future features.

But, the one thing i do see here (and although i see it on other boards it it most prevalent on thses boards, maybe something to do with the linux tech environment?) is the Board Natzi. By this i mean people that cruise the boards, looking for fresh posts to pounce on with the good old "learn to use search" reply.

Now i agree, the search feature is a very handy tool, and should be used. When used right It can often find the answer you are looking for, saving you time and not filling the board up with repetative questions.

But you should also remember most of the questions come from people that are new to seq, and are probably new to the forum thing as well (i know i was when i first started using seq) The search button is not prominent on this board (it is much easier to see on some other types of forum) and a newbie can often not realize it's true power. I still have trouble finding the best search phrases top use.

So rather than leaning down from our ivory towers, commanding those ignorant worms to use the tools they were offered, lets try and be a bit friendlier. How about you tell em what they want to know, then explain that if they used the search engine they wouldn't have had to wait for the answer. Maybe give them an example of search strings to use, in case thay run into trouble. IE try giving positive reinforcement.

Lets face it, if you have nothing better to do that cruise the boards adding 'use the search' replies, you have the time to add something a little more constructive. Yes, let them know they can search, but let them know we as a community do care and can help (we know you can: most of the people i have seen post 'use the search' messages have also provided very helpfull replies on occasion too!)

Please remember, unless you are dilbert, you were new to all this too, and you had to learn the ropes. Why not make it as pleasant for others as you whish it had been for you. If you have the energy to come to the board, read the posts, and place a reply, is it that much more effort to add some encoragement?

For all those of you that say you are sick of the same old questions, i say to you why are you reading these these new posts then replying? If you bother to reply, you either want to help the person or piss em off. if you want to piss em off then you must be able to do a better job than 'use the search'. If you want to help then provide some decent help.

Some people use the old "Give the man a fish and he eats once, but teach a man to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life", how about "Feed the man and Teach him to fish, and he will understand what a gift the skill of fishing will mean to him"

In summary, if you can't think of anything more usefull to put in a reply other than 'use search' (ie don't know the answer yourself, couldn't be arsed to type it in etc) then at least be nice about it, or just don't bother.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I hope SEQ goes on for a long long time, and my thanks again to the whole seq community for it's help in the past. All the best

Gungadin
    an Ex EQ'er

PS: I'll be deleting this bookmark after this post so wont be able to participate in flame wars, sorry :-)

This has been posted before, please use search to find other related threads...

--Jeeves

BWAHAHHAHAhahahhaha :)

*sniff* *sniff* (small tear runs down my face)
    bye
    /em kicks the door closed.

Well there goes another waste of life.....time to get back to Morrowind
    RSB

link129

Morrowind?

Is Morrowind any good? Been thinking about pick'n it up.

Originally posted by high_jeeves
    This has been posted before, please use search to find other related threads...

--Jeeves
    LOL...sad but true.

Originally posted by Gungadin
    I recently had the last straw with EQ, and i closed my account. I've cleaned off my linux box and sold it, and am now cleaning out my bookmark file getting rid of the EQ sites i will no longer need, and i thought i'd just put one last post here before i delete this one two.
    I give him about 3-4 months before he is praying that he can find all those links again and that he can remember how to re-set up SEQ.

Originally posted by Gungadin
    Please remember, unless you are dilbert, you were new to all this too, and you had to learn the ropes. Why not make it as pleasant for others as you whish it had been for you. If you have the energy to come to the board, read the posts, and place a reply, is it that much more effort to add some encoragement?
    When I first decided to install SEQ, I READ the message boards, I did searches on lycos for linux help sites, I bought a book and read it. I installed RH 6.0 with no problems. I installed SEQ and compiled but ran into a problem. It used to be more involved several years ago than it is now (there were NO help guides back then...just misc posts). I believe my problem was that I had installed the wrong QT version.

I dont think I got flamed because I did read the message boards, knew pretty much what I was talking about and posted all the information I could think of (including the error message).

The only people who usually get flamed are people who dont give a shit about anyone else and think that they are special because they dont have to figure out the problems on their own.

People who post "how do I get SEQ" or "how do I get this to run in windows" or "Im not seeing any packets" yet the post below it explains in great detail on how to find the problem, they DESERVE to be flamed. We are not your mama, we will not take you by the hand and walk you through every step of the way. We will point people in the right direction and sometimes kick you in the ass while doing so but even the "Use the Search Feature" posts DO point people in the right direction.

This moron waits until his last day before he posts this crap. What a loser...just wait until he comes back and asks for help.
    Last edited by BlueAdept; 06-28-2002 at 07:48 AM.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

I love to explore and Morrowind is great for that. Lots, and I mean LOTS of quests. Lots of caverns and stuff to explore plus some good user content coming out. The editor is really good too.
    I'm not much for single player games but its got me hooked until we get NWN over here (hopefully in a few days) and hanging out for SWG as the worlds there are supposed to be huge.

Oh and watching the rain on the water on a GF3 or better card still makes me go "WOW"
    RSB

Gungadin,

Its not a Linux thing. It is common on sites that are (directly or in-directly) related to cheating. SEQ is a cheat program to the degree that it gives "unauthorized advantages" to those who use it.

You find clowns like high_jeeves on sites of this type. I think they really get into the "ganster thang" but can't make a real difference so they post crap like you mention.

Putting up with these squirts comes with the cheater turf. If you want to contribute to great stuff like SEQ, you have to ignore the squirts.

And this "thug" (who has helped TONS of people on these boards get SEQ installed correctly), says the same to you as he says to all the other people who whine when they get yelled at because they cant participate in a forum correctly:

You can bitch at me, when you start helping people.. unit they, you just waste bandwidth..

It has nothing to do with being on a cheating forum.. Go read the gentoo linux forums.. they are as bad as these... so are just about any forums out there.

If you dont have anything use to provide to these forums (which I do, on a regular basis), then just go away.

--Jeeves

Originally posted by PawnOrc
    Gungadin,

Its not a Linux thing. It is common on sites that are (directly or in-directly) related to cheating. SEQ is a cheat program to the degree that it gives "unauthorized advantages" to those who use it.

You find clowns like high_jeeves on sites of this type. I think they really get into the "ganster thang" but can't make a real difference so they post crap like you mention.

Putting up with these squirts comes with the cheater turf. If you want to contribute to great stuff like SEQ, you have to ignore the squirts.
    Your theory is flawed. If your theory were true High_jeeves, and the rest of us, so called "Gangsters", would answer every post in the same way. On the contrary, all legitimate questions are answered, all legitimate problems are addressed. It's when the same questions have been asked and answered dozens and dozens of times. Many times the question is even located on the first page with a very similar subject. Those are the posts that get the canned "Use the search function" responses.

You will find this on ANY and ALL Public forums, in response to questions and statements that are clearly covered to great extents, and easily accessible if one would just look for them.

It all comes down to one simple premise. You believe your time is more important, more valuable than my time. In fact it is not. Your time is no more important no more valuable than anyone else. It is as though some people feel entitled to things, people feel entitled to an answer. In reality no one in entitled to anything, no pain no gain.

Finally you seem to think that "use the search function" is not a valid answer. When it fact it is. If it makes you feel better, every time you see a response that goes something like "Use the search function" pretend that it says "I'm not sure what the answer is, but I know it's been discussed before. Perhaps if you try searching for the answer, you may get lucky."
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

Originally posted by S_B_R
    ...pretend that it says "I'm not sure what the answer is, but I know it's been discussed before. Perhaps if you try searching for the answer, you may get lucky."
    Actually, it's more like "I'm 200% sure that this question has been asked and answered a hundred times in other threads. If you search the forums, you will definitely find an answer".
    -FGay Trader er... GFay

Originally posted by fgay trader

Actually, it's more like "I'm 200% sure that this question has been asked and answered a hundred times in other threads. If you search the forums, you will definitely find an answer".
    Yeah that will work too, but I was trying to be as un-condescending as possible.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

High_jeeves, and the rest of us, so called "Gangsters",
    Sweet! I appear to be the lead ganster then? I would like everyone to start calling me "Sir", "Boss", or "The Don". If you dont, I'll have to kneecap you...

::snicker::

--Jeeves

This is not about a cheat board nazi. the reason I see people beeing told to pull thier head out of thier arse and search is quite frankly becase they ask dumb questions.
    This is a cheat program yes, but it is put on a geeks OS, and managed by geeks (I mean that in the nicest possible way geeks). Geeks did not become the all knowing computer god they are by asking what is a tcp/ip connection? what does it do, where does it go? how do I decode a UDP packet? how do I install a modem. They got thier knowhow from work, either by playing with it till it worked (good fix for anything you encounter in life) or by looking up what went wrong. in the case they truly could not find an answer, you as a question. in a question, you fully explain what you are asking.
    Most of the people here don't want to do that. they want to ask thier question, as badly worded some times as "it don't work for me what woul,d u do?". I had some experiance in linux before Seq, I installed it on my PC about a year ago, just to play arround and learn some. used it as my main OS for about 2 weeks. then ran a duel boot system of red hat / win98 for about 2 months. finaly deleted linux as I did most things through win, and did not like to having to reboot to get to a game.

I have yet to have a problem with Seq that was not already addressed on these boards. I just had to do a little leg work. but by far the hardest part of my leg work was finding 5 post of people asking for the same dam thing. luckly most of them have a link to another post with accurate information.

so for the sake of any one who would actualy use the search feature. USE THE SEARCH FEATURE!!!! if not I know where you live, and I will be coming to get you! (might work on some of em)

Originally posted by high_jeeves
    I would like everyone to start calling me "Sir", "Boss", or "The Don".
    Can someone please change High_Jeeves' profile status to "The Don" instead of "Avatar of Veeshan"? hehe... Then instead of the "Use the Search" you could start saying "Don't go against the family!"
    -FGay Trader er... GFay

Thread Information