Thread: OT - Recomendations for a Linux edition ?

OT - Recomendations for a Linux edition ?

Hi all,

can someone recomend a linux edition for building an internetrouter with pppoe for germany telecom. I now run SUSE 7.3. I am more or less an newbee to linux, but not to networking or routing . SUSE offers an internet connection server compilation, but its about $990 and this is a "little" to much . I know that in the SUSE 7.3 there is a pppoe driver and i could configure a router with it. But i dont have any clue wether i should include patches for security or something other.

Thnx for your Help in advance
    -- Lord Crush

Greater Faydark has to be cleaned from all Elves !

This is a HOTKEY !!!

Is this for personal use or what exactly are you wanting it to do?
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

Its for a 3 person buero - now i useed a Bintec X.1200 DSL - now i have running a Win2K server as a router, but i need the license from that server for our test equipment. The X.1200 had a problem with the EQ-chat channel - that is solved now (30 sec timeout for UDP-Nat sessions was to less), but it dont works with Gamevoice. The Win2K server works fine. if i could get the X.1200 working it would be the best, but on the other hand what i need:

Internet connection over DSL with dynamic IP from provider over pppoe and NAT to connect our internal network with about 7 - 9 PC´s, i dont need any proxy - but i would like to implement a kind of firewall. I need Web (Http), ftp, EQ, Gamevoice - perhaps a portmaping to host the Gamevoice server. In the long run there *could* be the need to set up a VPN to an other location - but that should not be considered today

Thnx
    -- Lord Crush

This is a HOTKEY !!!

yes, IPCop is a good one. For something simpler(?) you might want to try FreeSCO it supports PPPoE.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

Wooot ipcop looks good - i ll try on the weekend

Thnx a lot
    -- Lord Crush

This is a HOTKEY !!!

Thread Information