Thread: Maps crash ShowEQ

Unhappy Maps crash ShowEQ

I am the only one who notices that when you open some maps, they crash Show EQ to desktop? Does anyone know what would cause this? Is there a limit to the amount of information that a map can hold?

My machine has plenty of disk space and RAM (512 meg). This seems strange.

Horse

Never heard of this problem before.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

which maps?

The latest map that I have problems with is the jaggedpine.map I downloaded from Catt's post. I can open SEQ and then open maps (F1). Select Jaggedpine.map and 50% of the time, I get a crash to desktop. I have kept up to date on the CVS, so the release is current.

any messages in the terminal window that SEQ was started from? Is a core file generated? If so, search for backtrace and post the trace to the dev forum to help the developers fix the problem (if there is one).

I usually get crashes that after I added something and made a typo. If I'd type a "." instead of a "," then it crashes ShowEQ. It also happens when I for example forget to add a "," between two digits: "100-100" instead of "100,-100" or when I mistyped something like: ",,". But these are all "guaranteed crashes" =) Let's see.... can't see anything wrong with Catt's latest jaggedpine.txt

There's one other time I noticed this "random crash", it's when the number of locations do not match the actual numbers:

M,Line,3,111,112,113,211,212,213,311,312

this _should_ have been:

M,Line,3,111,112,113,211,212,213,311,312,313

What I noticed about this one is that, sometimes it doesn't draw that particular line but draws the rest of the map, and sometimes it crashes SEQ. BUT, it would ALWAYS (wether it crashes or not) state a message "blahbla.map, line X, number of points not matched" or something similar, in the terminal window.

But as stated before _I_ can't see anything wrong with Catt's file.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

I had problems with maps crashing SEQ a while back, I did a clean checkout, applied my local patches and recompiled.

No troubles since.

Re: Maps crash ShowEQ

Originally posted by horse_sense
    I am the only one who notices that when you open some maps, they crash Show EQ to desktop? Does anyone know what would cause this? Is there a limit to the amount of information that a map can hold?

My machine has plenty of disk space and RAM (512 meg). This seems strange.

Horse
    I was having the same odd problems. Found I just had to make sure i compiled from scratch... ALthough I didn't wipe out the directory and do a full cvs copy I did the following:

make clean
    make -f Makefile.dist
    ./configure --enable-old-compiler (cause i have the old qt installed)
    make
    make install

Cleaned up all my problems. Just a simple start from scratch basically.

It's the "make install " part that takes the newly downloaded maps from the directory they were placed in during your CVS checkout and places them into the /usr/local/share/showeq/ directory, if you do not use the "make install" part your maps will NOT be overwritten with a fresh set.
    Before asking anything read the pre-face section of http://www.smoothwall.org/download/p....9/doc.faq.pdf

after you've read it, you know what to do next...

"Stay alert! Trust noone! Keep your Lazers Handy! Have a nice day." -- Provided courtesy of the Computer. The Computer never lies.

Thread Information