Thread: SUSE - QT 2.3.2 - GCC 3.0x - KDE 2.2.2 broken

SUSE - QT 2.3.2 - GCC 3.0x - KDE 2.2.2 broken

Hi all,

i use suse 7.3 and compiled gcc 3.0.3-src from GNU.org and the qt-lib-2.3.2-src direct from trolltech. seq can be compiled with this and works fine with the twm-windowmanager.

But i cannot start the KDE on this box. I get a bunch of errormsgs (if it is required i can post them).

I upgraded the KDE with SUSE rpms to KDE 2.2.2 and used SUSE qt-rpm 2.3.2. With this KDE works fine but seq will not compile. (again masses of errors - unknown symbol and so on).

If i change back to the qt 2.3.2 compiled with gcc 3.0.3 myself, seq is compiling and working - but not KDE.

I suggest that SUSE RPM was compiled with gcc < 3.00 and that is the cause of the problem.

Has anybody a clue ?

Thank you in adavnce !!!

To the developers:
    =============

Compiled the last CVS today - Great! Map panning is working with middlemousebutton

Great Job: SEQ 4.0 - Manny thanks for Your work !

- Lord Crush

you need to compile qt on your own, not rebuild the rpm. If you rebuild the rpm you are getting rid of your gcc-2.9x compiled version, and every program that uses it (KDE) will fail to work.

reason in short, g++ 2.9x and g++ 3.0 makes binaries in a different way, and you cannot mix and match objects. So if KDE is compiled with 2.9x, QT must also be. you need to maintain a g++ 3 compiled version of qt somewhere else that wont conflict with the system version (unless you recompile everything that uses it).
    casey AT trifocus DOT net

Thank you for the quick reply. I suggested that...

But i donīt know howto maintain 2 different versions of qt-lib on the same system - one for seq and one for the rest

regards
    - Lord Crush

find zaphod's guide for redhat users in one of these forums and read it, it will be applicable to suse.
    casey AT trifocus DOT net

LordCrush.

Install/build the gcc3 version of qt in a different directory (/usr/lib/qtgcc3-2.3.2 or /opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2 are suggested).

Then when you go to configure showeq use the line "./configure --with-qt-dir=/usr/lib/qtgcc3-2.3.2"

That should take care of managing two different versions of qt. With recent CVS changes the path to the gcc3 qt should be compiled into the showeq binary making it a little easier to maintain multiple qt libraries.

Hope that helps a little.

Thumbs up

Hi,

works great - thank you very much.

I compiled SEQ with "--with-qt-dir=" option! Now i have the KDE running. The Windowmanager is much better!

Again many thanks for your help

- Lord Crush

Thread Information