Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Install for RedHat 7.2

Exclamation Install for RedHat 7.2

Well, after MUCH research and LOTS of help here on the Forum, I have developed my own instructions for this great program. One thing I found lacking was explicit instructions for “from scratch” SEQ. Anyway, BIG kudos to Zaphod and Yendor for listing out the RPMs needed, and to Zaphod again, I REALLY REALLY appreciate you posting the QT-gcc3. My biggest problem was that the qt-gcc3 rpm specifies a different qt directory than all the other qt compiling instructions so that threw me for a loop. Anyway, here are my instructions of how to get it to work from a fresh install of RedHat 7.2.

1) download or buy Redhat 7.2 . Check out www.redhat.com to find the iso’s for 7.2. You will need disk 1 and 2, you won’t need the rpms disks.

2) Install Linux workstation but use the CUSTOM option. This will allow you to install the rpm files during install and save LOTS of time and effort.

3) Go through the screens till you get to the one titled Selecting Package Groups. This will only occur on the Custom install option. At the bottom of this page select the box marked SELECT INDIVIDUAL then hit NEXT

4) This will take you to the Individual Package Selection screen. At the top there is Tree View and Flat View. Select Flat View to see all available RPM files to install. Below is the list from Yendor and Zaphod of what needs to be installed. I have also listed what the install calls each file as install does not display which version is used. Believe me, it is the correct version that everyone is using and it works. Anyway, select the packages, I listed them in order that install lists them.

XFree86-devel
    XFree86-libs
    autoconf
    automake
    binutils
    cvs
    freetype
    gcc3
    gcc3-c++
    gd
    gd-devel
    gdbm
    gdbm-devel
    glibc
    glibc-common
    glibc-devel
    kernel-headers
    libgcc
    libjpeg
    libjpeg-devel
    libmng
    libmng-devel
    libpcap
    libpng
    libpng-devel
    libstdc++3
    libstdc++3-devel
    libtool
    libtool-libs
    m4
    make
    patch
    zlib
    zlib-devel

These packages are actually the following RPMs but you really don't need to know that do you. Just use the above names during the install and go to step 5

XFree86-devel-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    XFree86-libs-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    autoconf-2.1.3-14.noarch.rpm
    automake-1.4p5-2.noarch.rpm
    binutils-2.11.90.0.8-9.i386.rpm
    cvs-1.11.1p1-3.i386.rpm
    freetype-2.0.3-7.i386.rpm
    gcc3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    gd-1.8.4-4.i386.rpm
    gd-devel-1.8.4-4.i386.rpm
    gdbm-1.8.0-10.i386.rpm
    gdbm-devel-1.8.0-10.i386.rpm
    glibc-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm
    glibc-common-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm
    glibc-devel-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm
    kernel-headers-2.4.7-10.i386.rpm
    libgcc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    libjpeg-6b-16.i386.rpm
    libjpeg-devel-6b-16.i386.rpm
    libmng-1.0.2-1.i386.rpm
    libmng-devel-1.0.2-1.i386.rpm
    libpcap-0.6.2-9.i386.rpm
    libpng-1.0.12-2.i386.rpm
    libpng-devel-1.0.12-2.i386.rpm
    libstdc++3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    libstdc++3-devel-3.0.1.i386.rpm
    libtool-1.4-8.i386.rpm
    libtool-libs-1.4-8.i386.rpm
    m4-1.4.1-5.i386.rpm
    make-3.79.1-8.i386.rpm
    patch-2.5.4-10.i386.rpm
    zlib-1.1.3-24.i386.rpm
    zlib-devel-1.1.3-24.i386.rpm

5) Finish the install as usual.

added this step here. This location is from the

6) Once loaded, log in as root and open up a terminal session. Create your download directory

cd/
    mkdir /seq
    cd/seq

7) Startup Netscape and come back to this page and save this file as /seq/seq.txt

8a) type “bash seq.txt” [to run the batch]
    you will get to the CVS login so hit enter for password and it will continue on. NOTE: Due to the change to get libEQ.a from an "official" site I have recently changed the libEQ.a URL (5/9/02)

8b) OR type in the batch file commands as shown…

cd /usr/lib
    wget --passive-ftp ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net/pub/lib.../linux/libEQ.a
    cd /seq
    wget --passive-ftp http://doomed.to/showeq/qt-gcc3-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm.php
    wget --passive-ftp http://doomed.to/showeq/qt-gcc3-deve...1.i386.rpm.php
    rpm -ivh qt-gcc3-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm qt-gcc3-devel-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm
    export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq
    cvs login
    cvs checkout showeq
    cd showeq
    export QTDIR=/opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2
    export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
    export MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    export CXX=g++3
    export CC=gcc3
    make -f Makefile.dist
    ./configure
    make
    make install

+++ the seq.txt includes a copy comand for showeq.conf which no longer exists. Rather than upload a new copy, just ignore this error message if you happen to see it. Next edit I'll fix it, but just deal with it till then - TGF

9) Showeq will take awhile to compile, go watch a move or learn how to play guitar.

10) Edit your /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.xml to include your options you deem handy.

Congratulations! It should now be installed if you got no errors.
    To run it type...

showeq

Happy SEQing
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tgf; 06-03-2002 at 11:37 AM.

Please NOTE:

On the install listing please note the 3 on

gcc3
    gcc3-c++

and

libstdc++3
    libstdc++3-devel

there are gcc without the 3 and you do NOT want thoes

I have been working on RH 7.1, and can verify that you DONT want the versions without the '3' in them. They are too different. My mistake was going to an ftp site and into directories under 7.1 for the RPMs, which didnt have the '3' RPMs and installing the non-'3' ones instead. Everything will work until you try to compile SEQ, at which time I started getting errors, like it couldnt find deque.h. deque.h simply isn't there using the non-'3' updated rpms. Instead go under the 7.2 directory on the ftp servers and get the '3' versions. I am still in the process, since I am now obsessed with Linux and don't want to go the 'easy' route of just getting a 7.2 copy and starting over, but have more and more confidence that I will be able to get where I am going.

BTW, for more than 10 years I have been programming, and except for one install of a linux-on-windows haven't looked at linux until recently. I LOVE linux for technical stuff. A good example of why is the CVS. Compared to MS's Visual Source Safe, it is WAY more stable and less bug ridden. And it is just THERE, you don't have to go out and pay lots of money and go through a nightmarish install process and integration to get it to work. Yeah, VSS has a lot of neat ideas, like integration with Visual Studio for 'automatic' graphical source control, check out, check in. But it's buggy and microsoft's security 'features' constantly drive me nuts. I could go on for a while about the security thing. Heck, I spent almost 2 hours with MS tech support on a specific security issue regarding linked servers in MSSQL, and how NT/SQL security worked with it, then the very thing I spent all that time on making sure it was the way it was and was gauranteed I would have to work around it in the future (per the tech support), the next version fixed what they called a 'feature' and I called a 'bug' to work right. Then a month later I found out there were yet more 'but..'s to their fix of it. Security with microsoft is just frustrating as hell.

Linux/Unix has been around so long, I think it just has had a chance to grow and mature as is needed and as is appropriate. The core functionalities that are used by programmers are very sound. I like that. With microsoft it's like making an investment in someone else's 'crystal ball' of the way things should be, without going through testing-over-time under real usage to mature the assumptions that their models are based off of. I compare it to writing software based on vapor-ware (undefined and or constantly changing) functionalities. Horribly frustrating.

Rant, rant, whine, complain.. hehe.

Question getting QT error with the instructions you gave

I followed your instructions to the letter, including a completely fresh install of RH 7.2. the following is what i receive after doing the bash seq.txt

it logs into CVS, downloads seq and then gets to the ./configure && make part...here is what i get....

checking for Qt... no
    >> Unable to locate your QT includes...
    configure: error: Please verify your QT devel install!
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

any help or advice?

1) did you install zaphod's qt RPM (or otherwise compile one yourself)

2) are you using showeq4 ("showeq" module, not
    "linux" module from CVS).

I am guessing 2 if you think you followed all the instructions to the letter.

I had a quick look thru his install guide and I noticed that he didn't put the instructions in to install the qt rpms that he downloaded... anyhow, try this:

8b) OR type in the batch file commands as shown…
    cd /usr/lib
    wget http://doomed.to/showeq/libEQ.a
    cd /seq
    wget http://doomed.to/showeq/qt-gcc3-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm
    wget http://doomed.to/showeq/qt-gcc3-devel-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm
    *added this*
    rpm -ivh qt-gcc3-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm qt-gcc3-devel-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm
    *end addition*
    export CVSROOT=server:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq
    cvs login
    cvs checkout showeq
    cd showeq
    export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
    export MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    export CXX=g++3
    export CC=gcc3
    make -f Makefile.dist
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    cp /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf.dist /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf

I hope this solves your problem..

Cheers!
    - "When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." -- Abraham Maslow

help please

Everything working until I actually come to the ./configure command. After putting that in I get an error saying I do not have a QT Meta Object Compiler (MOC). Unable to find a moc binary anywhere on system.
    At the end it tells me I may be able to eliminate the error by typing:
    export MOC='updatedb && locate moc | grep bin/moc'
    When I try this however and next do a, make install, and it tell me, make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.
    Any thoughts?
    I would appreciate any assistance guys. Great post guys. Thanks again, Johnny

moc is part of qt, did you actually install the qt-gcc3-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm and qt-gcc3-devel-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm packages

(ie Tristan's step 8b)

Thanks Tristan

Your absolutely correct Tristan, thanks!!!!!

I have updated the above instructions AND the seq.txt file so should work fine. In my testing I already had it rpm'ed so I didn't catch it. I will re-do the whole instruction thing from scratch to make sure.

If you get the MOC error (as I did using the wrong location of the qt files) you probably dont have the qt-gcc3 rpm'ed or you mistyped the

This will result in the compile not seeing the QT correctly and give this error (ask me how I know. It only took me 2 days to figger that out, but then again, I am not a programer type). For a quick check you can type echo $QTDIR and it will give you what the value is (note it is case sensitive)

Thats probably what I did guys. Went back and retyped it and it worked wonderfully. Thanks again for great instructions.

showeq.conf not created

FYI:

The final line in your script

cp /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf.dist /usr/local/share/showeq/showeq.conf

Is missing from your seq.txt file

Users must execute that command manually.

Very nice

I compiled this all by hand I dont like RPM's I just dont trust them. But I gave this link to my friend who has NO CLUE about Linux and he called me to tell me he has it all working with no problem. I just thought I would bust some props to you for doing the populas a huge step up!

Fluffy

Thanks Joe

Here is updated seq.txt. I added the line at the end and hope it works. When making a batch file you need to add the cr at the end of each line which windoze notpad has problems with stating clearly. It looked good on my screen anyway (simply cut and pasted the cr from an above line. Anywho, try this version and if it fails on the showeq.conf copy do it manually like the instructions say to do.

I too am a little leary about "non-official" code. That is why my instructions/batch use the distribution rpms. Also my rpms are pulled off a site that is posted by one of the seq developers, Zaphod

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthrea...=&threadid=204

If that isn't "safe" none of seq is...

Besides if your REALLY into it, all of seq is open source so you can dig as deeeeeep and you want to satisfy your curiosity. I am amazed at what I know now about seq and EQ from digging. I almost didn't post this because it makes it almost "to easy", but then again, I am a hard core EQer and would really rather spend my time playing than code busting. I know there are other out there too that time is precious so I did post this in the interest of modern civilization and the wheel. Ramble ramble ramble on and on and on.

Anyway, I would like to take this advertisement time to once again thank Zaphod and Yendor for their support! You guys Rule!

TGF
    Attached Files Attached Files

Talking Nice Work

tgf, Tristran, nice work on this help page. It got me through everything! I just wanted to bump this and keep it up there for all the other people struggling with the new seq updates.

EviL2wiN

I was also very impressed with this. I have set up SEQ 4.0 with various instructions but this was the easiest. In fact, I did this one just because I had the time to reformat a drive and start from scratch.

Very nicely done.

Thread Information