Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help plz Setting Up Internet

Need Help plz Setting Up Internet

Ok I followed this guide http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?threadid=273 Installed ALL the listed RPMS Installed a new workstation etc etc Booted Linux redhat 7.2 and everything works, I can startx and load into Gnome with root.

This is how I have my setup

CABLE MODEM
    |
    |
    LINUX COMP with 2 NICS
    |
    |
    HUB
    |
    |
    Everquest Comp

Will this work ??? Cause I cant get the internet to work when Redhat boots in text mode it says

checking lo [OK]
    checking Eth0 [FAILED]

I dont even have internet and I dont know how to configure it so I do and It will share the net with my Everquest comp may someone please help out a brotha???

peace,
    OrB!

What network cards do you have installed in the linux machine?

In principle that setup should work. Unlike others I prefer to use a seperate standalone router/NAT firewall, but you can certainly use a linux machine with two NICs to achieve the same thing. Someone else will have to help with how to configure that, but your first trick is to get linux to deal with your network cards (and hence my first question).

Well i have:

NETGEAR FA311
    NETGEAR FA310TX

the reason why i have it setup like this:

CABLE MODEM
    |
    |
    LINUX COMP with 2 NICS
    |
    |
    HUB
    |
    |
    Everquest Comp

is because I have other comps in the house thats connected to the hub to get internet so it would be:

CABLE MODEM
    |
    |
    LINUX COMP with 2 NICS
    |
    |
    HUB----Living room comp
    \
    |\___ Laptop
    |
    Everquest Comp my room

when I check under the hardware it shows both NIC's working..

"when I check under the hardware it shows both NIC's working.."

how are you checking that? just trying to get a clue to help figure out where to start.

(linksys 1-port cable/dsl router=$62... not having your home network go down when you fiddle with your linux machine=priceless).

Well i have:

NETGEAR FA311
    NETGEAR FA310TX

the reason why i have it setup like this:

CABLE MODEM
    |
    |
    LINUX COMP with 2 NICS
    |
    |
    HUB
    |
    |
    Everquest Comp

is because I have other comps in the house thats connected to the hub to get internet so it would be:

CABLE MODEM
    |
    |
    LINUX COMP with 2 NICS
    |
    |
    HUB----Living room comp
    \
    |\___ Laptop
    |
    Everquest Comp my room

when I check under the hardware it shows both NIC's working..

Ok well i was fucking around with the eth0 and eth1 and i dont know what the hell i did but my comp freeses
    CHECKING lo [OK]
    CHECKING Eth0

just freeses here it doesent say failed anymore totally just hangs.......

I am reinstalling linux 7.2 again BUT this time when I am setting up redhat at the eth0 and eth1 settup screen my friend somewhat helped me. This is what he told me to do for now since we dont know witch has direct connection to the net. ?

[ ] CONFIGURE USING DHCP not checked
    [X] activate on boot yes

ip address 192 168 1 1
    netmask 255 255 255 0
    network 192 168 1 0 this was auto filled
    broadcast 192 168 1 255 this was auto filled

hostname bleh
    gateway 192 168 0 255 auto filled
    primary DNS 192 168 1 1 sec DNS blank Tenary DNS blank

I did the same for eth1 except changed the ip to 192 168 2 2
    I dont know witch card is the card that is connected to the net..... setting up now Installing all the rpms from the other guide... hope this works.. get back to you in hrm 10 min installing packages will have root/terminal up soon...

thanks
    OrB!
    Last edited by Orb; 01-10-2002 at 04:03 PM.

Sorry I doubble posted the post reply thing hangs when i hit "submit reply" weird...

I think I will have to defer to someone else on this as I haven't done this myself under linux. But I will put in my 2 cents because I can't help myself:

eth0 connected to cable/dsl modem:

will need to define an IP number your ISP gives you to this interface:
    either use DHCP (usually a trick to get your ISP's
    DHCP server to acknowledge the machine as one
    it should deliver an ip too... either by MAC address or
    hostname)

or a static IP number (whatever IP number you got
    from your ISP, or last one you got via DHCP on another
    machine when it was hooked up to your cable/dsl modem).

gateway/DNS/netmask/etc also need to be set to what your ISP provides. This is where DHCP is handy if you can set things up to get it to work. For me with comcast@home i just have to have my router's hostname be the hostname they assigned me on my network information sheet. Their DHCP verifies against hostname rather than MAC address, which is good for me.

-----------

eth1 you configure as 192.168.1.1, gateway the ip address of eth0

however from here you enter the realm of linux firewall/router stuff that I haven't done and someone else needs to jump in on how you configure it...

I think I would start with just one network card and try to get linux to come up and see the internet and get all it's network numbers sorted out. then add the second card.... not sure how that will work, but thats how I would start at the problem.

also when wiring eth0 to cable/dsl modem you need a crossover cable rather than a regular patch cable (unless modem has a crossover button, or seperate crossover port, in which case you can use that).

re

Well we got the internet going now we set the nics to to 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.2 and booted it changed one at a time to dhcp and we found out witch one was connected to the net. Eth1 is to the net and Eth0 is the nic that will be sharing the connection to my other comps, eth0 is 192.168.1.1 at the moment and I have net on my linux redhat 7.2 comp, using it now.

this is how its setup

CABLE MODEM
    |
    |
    Linux Redhat 7.2 w/h 2 NIC's
    |
    |HUB
    |
    |
    Everquest comp

Once I get both comps with internet I will read "how to" install the SEQ no sence go trough all the trouble of setting SEQ up and i cant even use my other comp.

can anyone help me as to how i set up my winxp comp with EQ and my Eth0 so it will share the connection ? Eth1 is my main connection

peace,
    OrB

Well I will keep going on principle here, ignoring the issues of firewall/dhcp server configuration on linux:

eth1: configured via DHCP (should be assigned an ip number that is *not* 192.168.1.XXX)

eth0: configured as 192.168.1.1, with eth1's IP # assigned as it's gateway (how this is done automatically in case eth1's IP number changes I don't know).

each PC on your network is then assigned an IP # of 192.168.1.XXX (where XXX is unique per machine and greater than 1), and a gateway of 192.168.1.1. DNS servers should be set to whatever your ISP provides you.

Now you need to enable network address translation (NAT) so that your linux machine processes all packets coming from your home network to the internet to appear to be coming from the IP # given to your linux machine.

Check out http://www.e-infomax.com/ipmasq/

The FAQ there may answer your questions if no one here can give you a short answer.

Hope I am helping somewhat

So what do I need to enable on my linux comp to let it share the connection? I dont quite understand I am totally new to linux ...

Ive got my winxp comp set to 192 168 1 2 / 255 255 255 0

still no go..

Best bet is to read the extensive FAQ in the link in my last post.

Second best bet is to buy a standalone router which does the same thing but is easier to set up (if technically less "powerful").

Third best bet is hope someone who has done this with linux answers this thread other than me.

Fourth best bet is to have me keep ramble on guessing and may take a really long time.

Step 1. Do you have internet connectivity through eth1 now? Can you access websites through netscape on your linux machine?

Step 2. Once you have step one working. Cut and paste the results of "/sbin/ifconfig eth0" and "/sbin/ifconfig eth1" so we can see how things are currently configured. (I suppose you may want to XXX out your IP number on eth 1 for privacy if it looks like a valid internet IP# [not 192.168.XXX.XXX, or 0.0.0.0], same for the gateway)

From there maybe I can guess what's next. But sooner or later i have to defer to the FAQ in that link as I haven't done NAT/IPmasq stuff with linux before.

I can ping my Linux comp from my winxp comp and I can also ping my winxp come from my Linux comp but still no internet

I have eth0 set to 192 168 1 1 / 255 255 255 0
    and my winxp comp set to 192 168 1 111 / 255 255 255 0

what am i missing ....

um.. how do i copy the text from the terminal... (yes im a n00b) but I did manage to get up the ifconfig in /sbin/ifconfig eth1, tryed ctrl + C highlight right click, looked for a copy at the top cant find

Thread Information