Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Help plz Setting Up Internet

ok I am reinstalling 7.2 .... cant find that firewall config anywhere but by setting up tgf's "How to" was great and I got showeq to work. The only thing i kind of did not understand was

eth1 (hooked to hub):
    Activate at boot
    Assign IP of 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: leave blank (took me an hour to figure out why I couldn't route, when
    this auto filled in and I missed it)

im not sure if this is the linux comp or from the winxp/98/ comp since it says eth1..... or is this the second nic from the linux comp? or does the linux comp only need 1 nic?

oh well going to format anyways be back in a bit.

and Thanks Yendor for all the help today Ive posted on hackersquest but they arnt much help.

out
    OrB

Found a script for redhat that might help anyone else trying to do this at

https://www.redhat.com/support/resou...firewallss.txt

You have to change a few lines to match your interface ports and network numbers.... you still have to know a little bit about what you are doing though.

=============

Orb for your setup swap eth0 and eth1 in lostpacket's description. (or swap your network cables). Yes you still need two NICs in the linux machine.

(when finding instructions on how to do this eth0 is usally assumed to be the interface connected to the broadband modem, so it might be nice to set yours up to match that so things don't get confused. Just switch which cables you plug into which card).

Why do I get the feeling I am always just making things more confused....

Firewall settings:
    Click [New]
    Set [Src IP] to 192.168.1.0/24, leave all other info alone (default settings are what you want).
    Click [Input & Masquerade]
    Then activate that puppy.

im in the install screen Now and I am under Firewall configuration there is HIGH MEDIUM and NO FIREWALL I dont see where to click [new] set blah etc..

grrrr.... maybe there is a firewall administration tool in redhat, and that is what lostpacket was using... guess we have to wait and see what he says.

Yea I think I would have to reinstall anyways when I first installed redhat I turned the option for the firewall Off....

I just reinstalled redhat and installed all the RPMs and Turned Firewall on Medium I coudent see anything to do this part.

Firewall settings:
    Click [New]
    Set [Src IP] to 192.168.1.0/24, leave all other info alone (default settings are what you want).
    Click [Input & Masquerade]
    Then activate that puppy.

But I did configure eth0 and eth1 to:

Linux setup:
    eth0 (hooked to DSL or cable thru hub):
    Do not activate on boot
    Use dhcp for IP
    All other info leave blank (Gateway, Subnet, DNS, etc)

eth1 (hooked to hub):
    Activate at boot
    Assign IP of 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: leave blank (took me an hour to figure out why I couldn't route, when
    this auto filled in and I missed it)

and how do I connect this up?????

CABLE
    |
    HUB?
    |
    Linuxcomp with 2 nics?--|--Winxp--|

look for and install these RPMs (should come with RH 7.2 on disc 1):

lokkit-0.50-6.i386.rpm
    gnome-lokkit-0.50-6.ia64.rpm

They install user friendly firewall configuration programs (lokkit and gnome-lokkit respectively). I suspect this is what lostpacket was using. I don't have them installed on my machine, but it seems a good idea to try.

They use ipchains rather than the newer iptables for setting up the firewall and NAT services. But that probably doesn't need to concern you.

It's amazing what web search engines can do if you manage to hit the right key words.

Now I hope THIS helps.

Your original wiring was fine. Your linux machine saw the internet on one card fine, and pinged your windows machine fine on the other card. So your wiring was peachy.

So you said I still need the 2 nic's in my linux machine do both of them go to the hub??/

CABLE
    |
    |
    HUB----Winxp
    | |
    | |
    | |
    Linux

I can only find lokkit-0.50-6.i386.rpm on disk 1 but how do i install this Rpm?

Cable---->eth0
    (needs crossover cable, or use of crossover switch or port on cable modem, you had this wired correctly when your linux machine could work on the internet a while ago)

Hub------>eth1
    |||
    |||
    other computers

(you had this working a while ago when your linux machine could ping your windows machine). My mind is a little mushy now and can't think whether you need a crossover cable (or switch, or crossover port on hub) on the eth1->hub connection. But you had this working, so however it was wired then.

-----------

install rpm with (as root):

rpm -ivh lokkit-0.50-6.i386.rpm

Keep looking for the gnome-lokkit-0.50-6.i386.rpm, that will be the graphical user interface version, though you the regular lokkit is probably easy to use too. Do a "ls *lokkit*" maybe the name is a little different. Also check CD 2, but I think its on the first.
    (I don't have a working CD 1 at the moment so I can't look).

gack! I'm sorry. I thought you already had everything installed.

Just select Medium Firewall when at that step and then after installation of RH, go to System>Firewall Settings, then Click [New] and take it from there.

It also may already be installed now that you installed with firewall support. In which case "What lostpacket said."

Ok I found both

lokkit-0.50-6.i386.rpm
    gnome-lokkit-0.50-6.ia64.rpm

Installed the gnome-lokkit-0.50-6.ia64.rpm First and Tryed the Lokkit second and it says it was already installed so.. I guess there in.

I still dont see this

System>Firewall Settings, then Click [New] and take it from there

I do See Programs>>System>>Lokkit

do I use this ?

OK Also I am going to set it up the same way I had it before with Eth1 MAIN Commection and Eth0 192 168 1 1 I will connect it Like this and Use the Lokkit thing.... Hope this works

CABLE in to linux comp
    |
    LINUX COMP 2 NICS out to hub
    |
    HUB
    |
    Everquest comp to hub

Last edited by Orb; 01-11-2002 at 12:50 AM.

Sounds right.

Good luck.

Going to bed now.

lostpacket: I still cant find that " System>Firewall Settings, then Click [New] and take it from there"

I think I need this to setup the Masquering the only thing I have is Programs>>System>>Lokkit

am I missing the rpm package for Firewall Settings ??? I installed it with Medium security.

Thread Information