Thread: Using search

Using search

I decided to take high_jeeves' advice and use the search button. I searched by user high_jeeves and found one post that was actually a little bit informative. Given that his post count is over 1100, this would put his signal/noise ratio somewhere around 0.0009%.

Did you go through all 600+ topics that came up?

Nah. Just about 100 of them. Perhaps I should have used statistical sampling and determined that his s/n ratio was more like 0.005%. For that, I apologize.

sounds like you found one post in 100 topics that was informative. that is like 1% s/n.

i bet you would find at least 10 more informative posts if you actually looked at the other 1000 posts he made.

heck, the first thread i looked at from that search:
    http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthrea...ght=highjeeves

has 3 posts from HJ and they are all helpful.

Where as neither of the posts you (Plugh) have made have contributed anythign informative, giving you an s/n ratio of ZERO!
    .01/0 -> inf so high_jeeves is infinately more informative than you!

go figure.

(edit: damn. high_jeeves beat me to it as i was editing. )
    Last edited by baelang; 02-07-2003 at 02:06 PM.
    BaeLang
    ---
    "seek and ye shall find." <-- god's way of saying use the damn search button. (or grep)

I did the same statistical analysis of Plugh's postings. Since he has only 2, I was able to sample the entire "post-space". I can up with 0 useful, or informative posts. If my math is correct, that would make the s/n roughly 0%. Feel free to correct my math, if I made an error here.

--Jeeves
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Analysis based on a sample size of 2 is statistically insignificant. A sampling of 100 out of 1100 can turn up some statistically valid results.
    And yes, I'm bored, so I'm trolling.

0/3 now. our sample space just went up by 50%.
    BaeLang
    ---
    "seek and ye shall find." <-- god's way of saying use the damn search button. (or grep)

Actually, when the entire space only has 2 (now 3) data points, an evaluation of all 2 (now 3) data points leads to a 100% statistical certainty..

--Jeeves
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

It's only a "statistical" sample when you look at a subset of the space, and draw conclusions about the space based on the subset.

the science of Statistics dosen't apply at all when you look at the entire space.
    BaeLang
    ---

actually a statistic can be done using the whole space, and not just a subset. The only time it is really a subset is when you are dealing with infinite space.

From Dictionary.com
    Statistic
    2. A numerical value, such as standard deviation or mean, that characterizes the sample or population from which it was derived.

Last edited by baelang; 02-07-2003 at 04:42 PM.
    BaeLang
    ---

Originally posted by baelang
    It's only a "statistical" sample when you look at a subset of the space, and draw conclusions about the space based on the subset.

the science of Statistics dosen't apply at all when you look at the entire space.
    Well what would you call the entire space? Since you enjoy flames and insults keep it to something you know about.

Well what would you call the entire space? Since you enjoy flames and insults keep it to something you know about.
    Jesus Creeping Shit!!!! Baelang never flames anyone.

And I don't know how to explain to you if you can't already tell that the entire space is called "the entire space".

I am begining to think that this entire reproductive freedom thing has gone way to far. We are working at the shallow end of the gene pool here.
    To search, or not to search,--that is the question:--
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous flaming
    Or to take a look at the search function,
    And by using it, end them?

Originally posted by sea4th
    Since you enjoy flames and insults keep it to something you know about.
    Your mother posed for tubgirl!

(this flaming thing isn't all it's cracked up to be.)
    Last edited by baelang; 02-07-2003 at 09:39 PM.
    BaeLang
    ---

Thread Information