Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X using 80% CPU (Lagging SEQ)

Question X using 80% CPU (Lagging SEQ)

I've got TOP running at the moment and its showing X taking 80% +-10% of the CPU, its leaving next to nothing for showeq resulting in very poor performance.

I'm using a fresh install of Redhat 7.2 and have used the desktop wizard so that all the desktop settings are minimal.

650mhz P3
    196mb ram

It doesn't seem to do it all the time but I can't see what starts it running slowly.

Thanks for your input.

Serberus

ok, if I open showeq and login to EQ it runs badly, if I open showeq having logged in then it runs fine and continues to run fine after subsequent zone ins.

This may then be a showeq problem and has already been covered in the boards.

sorry for that.

Serberus

I have the same problem here, shortly after decoding, system becomes very sluggish and showeq lags until I kill the showeq process. I am using redhat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.17 , kde 2.2.1.

having the same issues, anyone know what to do to fix this

Me to
    But only after i updated to SeQ v4

\\\ Topgun

Ditto.

P3 850MHz

Couple hundred meg of RAM.

Running nothing but SEQ it will do this. Amusingly, this allows one to sort of see what really slows the system down while in SEQ.

IE: If I drop to 1 FPS from 10 it will run much better.

When it is running without this bizarre problem, I can kick it up to 30 FPS and turn everything else on with no slowdown at all.

Fixed?

I wasn't aware so many people were suffering from this problem.

I thought it may just be the sluggishness of Redhat 7.2 in general so I put Mandrake 8.1 on and its still running poorly, but only sometimes.

I can't see anything that triggers it and theres no way to make it run faster again that i'm aware of, is this something the ShowEQ developers are aware of?

I don't know if its anything to do with the size of the filters file, i'll read that thread in a sec then come back and apologize for posting about already fixed issues.

Thanks

Serberus

2nd hand knowledge on fix

Have a friend that had this issue. Turned out that the excessive cpu use only occured when the program was maximized. The fix would be to deselect maximize and use the preferences in the showeq.conf file to go full screen.

Perhaps some of you have the same issue.

that is a very interesting and retarded at the same time solution to the problem. as soon as my stupid internet connection at home comes back up, i will be certain to test it.

i remember when i FIRST got seq 4 installed, the cpu usage was somewhere around 5-10% but recently its been up around the 30-40% range. i hope the maximize trick helps ;)

Temporary Fix

Following advice from Spaz I turned my FPS down and that pretty much fixes all the problems. 2FPS is still perfectly acceptable and it runs a hell of a lot better than 10FPS.

Serberus

I had the same problem and a little research on redhat site found a kb article pertaining to intel chipsets and > 64mb ram. I figured what the hell and took out all but 64mb and its been running fine ever since. This works fine for me since this box only does seq but may not be the perfect solution for someone using it for more.

I have been working to identify the cause of this bug for a few weeks now, no such luck yet.

I have noticed that certain window manager seem to make the problem worse than others. I run wmx and tmw, these seem to work pretty well. I have seen other window managers completely freeze up.

fee

Same thing is happening to me. I started a thread under 'Mouse is sluggish' near the top of the page. I have used a couple window managers, but Gnome primarily and sometimes it uses 90% of the processor (sluggish) and sometimes it'll be down around 20-40% of the processor.

It seems to be completely random, I've found no common denominator between the amount of mobs in the zone, people in the zone, map complexity, nothing at all...

K6-550 196 pc 100 ram, RH 7.2 Gnome environment, sawfish WM

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but maybe Verant has found a way to make SEQ somewhat unusable by sending a buttload of empty packets.......

Hehe, anyway, I've had the same problem with 7.2 RH installed. Although it doesn't happen all the time, probably 75% of the time.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthrea...=&threadid=423

Seems that the window manager (Gnome, Kde, etc...) is the culprit for poor performance.

I'm using icewm (icewm.sourceforge.net) on a P150 laptop and not experiencing any of these issues.

Thread Information