Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: realistic size of filters.conf

Question realistic size of filters.conf

Is there a "realistic" size for the filters file that you should work to stay under? I pasted together several different files last night and found that when you zone, SEQ would hang for quite a while processing the new information, then hang every once and a while in the zone as well... And I tried it with a version from just before the new year and the latest CVS pull... same thing either way...

I don't remember exactly how big my filters.conf file was, but it was around 79k when I was done.

Oh, and I'm running SEQ on RH 7.1 on a PII 400 w/128MB RAM, so I don't think it really was a machine issue...

Clear out the filters.conf file and it worked fine...

It all depends on your CPU, really... SEQ will iterate over the spawn list each time it updates. This a lot of iterations per second. The larger your file, the more it tries to match against each and every spawn in the zone. The number of comparisons it has to do increases geometrically with each filter entry you add.

In theory, we could have a better way of spawn matching, but no one has sat down to do it.

Legacy code at it's finest!

Legacy code at it's finest

Obviously you've never worked for the government...

why not use the specific map spawn files? i think it was of the format filter_mapname.conf? anyway, it could be spiffy.

Fryfrog is right ... I meant to mention that, but totally spaced it between hitting reply and hitting submit

Zone specific filter file is what you want... and what we should really be moving to anyway.

Doh! I'll have to give that a look then! Cool... I was hoping there was a way around bogging down my machine with a huge file...

When you do get them divided up, alot of people would love it if you'd tar them and post the tar somewhere.

Originally posted by Mr Guy
    When you do get them divided up, alot of people would love it if you'd tar them and post the tar somewhere.
    uh huh.....

Originally posted by fryfrog
    why not use the specific map spawn files? i think it was of the format filter_mapname.conf? anyway, it could be spiffy.
    Is this the proper way to break the zone filters down? I know I know... RTFM... I've been looking at all the docs and I don't know if I missed it somewhere....

Anyone?

i grep'd my CHANGES file and found "filters_<mapname>.conf" as the answer. the caps/uncaps is gonna be what will get ya. maybe mapfiend can start storing mapfile.conf 's as well.

Wow...I didnt know that you could have separate zone filters...that is nice. I guess I should have RTFM.

Im lucky that I already have most of my filters.conf broken down by zone. I just now have to chop it out of the filters.conf and put it in zone specific format.

You can get a copy of mine (only has upto Velious spawns though) at http://www.crosswinds.net/~libeqa

After I get it all broken up by zone (and verify that it is working properly) Ill put them up on that page (might be a couple days).

is anyone else not able to get to BlueAdept's site?

I only get
    <html><head></head><body></body></html>

Nothing shows up for me either...

Good it's not just me Hey BLueAdept , can you post it in a message here?

Thanks
    ST

Thread Information