Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Segfaults and showeq

Segfaults and showeq

Why do segfaults seem to get worse as this project goes on ?

Lower guk segfaults nearly everytime, Over there is like every time, Kithicor is nearly everytime. It seems nearly every zone you go to it can seg faut now, and some zones just stuff up constantly. Does anyone else encounter this ?

I keep hearing this but am not seeing it myself. Played all day the past couple days and was in maybe 12 zones or more and only segfaulted once. Might try a fresh build of seq after rerunning "make -f Makefile.dist", configure, make, make install.
    Sometimes people just do a CVS update then remake and an unstable seq gets made because structures change and different files get made out of sync to others.

Segfaults

This is just my 2cp, but I've found that if I'm starting to seg fault, I rename my /usr/local/share/showeq directory, rename my showeq and showeqdblib bianaries and rename my /root/showeq directories...

Then I do a completely new pull of the CVS tree and build it... Fixes it almost every time... From there all I need to do is put my config files back (filters, etc...) and any "new" maps...

What I have tried

I have tried the following :

deleteing showeq in /usr/local/share/showeq and deleting the binaries, making clean in the cvs then all the normal stuff.

I have tried getting rid of everything then downloading cvs again for a fresh install. Segfaults still happen in all zones I specified and my friends have the same problem to. What version of QT and gcc do you have Yendor ? I have the min specs but I was just wondering. I am running slack 7.1 aswell ...

OT and lguk are really bad, they segfault with a vengance.

i can only say that running redhat 7.2 and mandrake 8.1, i experience little to very few... to nearly no seg faults. are you sure you are using "co showeq"? cause the older 3.x line of showeq seg faulted on me all the time. that said, i HAVE seen is seg fault in keal once or twice, but thats all i can think of.

Yah, Im using co showeq

As a side note

Is this normal when running ShowEq ?

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0". ?

I have the same problem. LGuk will not decrypt for me for anything. I segfault everytime. OT decrypts sometimes.. bout half and half.. another zone that WILL NOT decrypt, no matter what I do is Lake Rathe. There are some spawns in there that I need to work with and Ive tried everything. Other zones like Rathe Mtns, Permafrost, Everfrost, on and on.. decrypt everytime.

Whats also interesting is that I cannot find matching mapfiles for these zones, but prior to the segfault the map shows..? Have you looked to see if you have .map files for the zones that are segfaulting for you? Maybe Im just blind..

Where can I get individual map files that are V4 compliant?

guk

im not sure what the exact terms are but...

when i zone into guk,

all the mobs are "unknown" and nothing seems to come up on map.

is this what everyone is taking about?

using mandrake 8.2

BTW make shure something pops in the zone to start decryption. After Zone in it is nessecary to get somthing spawn or despawn for seq bruteforce the key. if you can make a pet - cast it and seq wil decrypt after getting the key - that depends on your PC.

You can kill some MOB for getting seq decrypt. But you should do that in the first minute after zone in ...

Regards

- Lord Crush

Ok its getting bad, at first there were flames when you got a seg fault but now there seems to be no fix for it. I have reinstalled RH multiple times and still getting seg faults even after a fresh configure. Ran the updates and tried multiple ways to install it and still get seg faults. Any help at all would be great

the last error message i got was

a_small_mushroom 30(2272) has already been removed from the zone before we processed it.
    segmentation fault

Developer
    I sometimes get crashes as well.

It is not very often, maybe once or twice a week.

When it does crash it is usually after I have been in a zone for a while and after the zone has decoded.

Overall SEQ is quite stable. I leave it up and running for days at a time. I basically run it until it crashes or I have to recompile it with updates. (No, I don't play EQ all the time, I just don't bother to shut SEQ down when I stop playing EQ.)

I have noticed that when it crashes and I restart it, I have to zone to get it to start showing my position again.

SEQ has always required you to rezone to get decode to work again, but historically you used to be able to fire it back up after a crash and immediately start geting your position information along with the position info for other (undecoded) mobs.

This problem seemed to start occuring around the time of the changes that allowed you to restore zone state upon restart. I suspect something got broken there.

I donīt get these error after a segfault. I see my position normally after a restart. I was until now not successfull with the restartoption, but i have not tried long ... about 10 mins

Seq is normally very stable - I have running 2 or 3 instances on my linux box and we have only 2 o 3 segfaults per week with 3 to 4 h playtime every day , btw we leave it running all the time too, but i ever do a fresh download before i compile it...

Perhaps you should have a look on your showeq.conf and compare it with the newest showeq.conf.dist. There are some changes, i donīt know wether it can cause seq segfault if some options are missing or have inalid values - just a thought.

Regards

- Lord Crush

I haven't had that many problems. Usually I just zone out and back or camp real quick and blame lag. These kind of bugs can sometimes be very hard to find in a program this size, assuming its seq's bug. If it is a bug, best of luck to the devs.
    "I've heard it said there's a window that opens from one mind to another, but if there's no wall, there's no need for fitting the window, or the latch."
    -Rumi

A

I'm getting this error quite frequently.

Thread Information