Thread: Off topic: server status

Off topic: server status

I am wondering if someone has linked MRTG with the server status information? I am interested in getting a server uptime percentage and trends for my server. Referrencing a server that has already been collecting this historiacal info would be nice before I attempt to set it up myself. I performed a couple of searchs of these forums and found nothing.

Thanks for any pointers and sorry for the off topic.

I had actually intended to track server status at one point... but lost some interest in the project and haven't advanced it any.

Couple that with the fact that the newer version of PHP break the current script you see running now (for no apparent reason, can't track down the bug in PHP... it's not a bug in the script) - and I've not had much of a desire to expand it.

It's just sheer cooincidence and luck that SF hasn't upgraded their PHP installation to 4.3.x series yet... when they do, the server status script running here will probably break.

If this isn't what you were asking, I apologize. Can you elaborate on what MRTG is?
    The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.

MRTG: http://mrtg.hdl.com/mrtg.html

Cheers,
    -Egg
    I'm just another fsck uucp.

I havn't looked at the php script that checks server status but I'm betting that it returns a up/down or 1/0 for the server. so just setup your mrtg config file like:

Target[Antonius_Bayle]: `/usr/sbin/server_uptime Antonius_Bayle`
    Title[Antonius_Bayle]: Antonius Bayle Server Uptime
    Background[Antonius_Bayle]: #ffffff
    PageTop[Antonius_Bayle]: <H1>Everquest Server Uptime</H1>
    WithPeak[Antonius_Bayle]: wmy
    Directory[Antonius_Bayle]: Antonius_Bayle
    MaxBytes[Antonius_Bayle]: 1
    AbsMax[Antonius_Bayle]: 2
    YLegend[Antonius_Bayle]: Uptime
    ShortLegend[Antonius_Baylel]: &nbsp;uptime &nbsp; &nbsp;

you might have to modify the php script, (this assumes that you could give it a server for argument, as i stated earler i havn't looked at the script) or find a perl one if there is one out there, or better yet write your own. But this gives you a general idea of how to setup the mrtg config file.

Thread Information