Thread: Getting started in the development...

Getting started in the development...

INTRO

Hello, I am JUST beginning C++ programming. I am fluent in VB, HTML, Java, php, Access, sql and a few other odds and ends. I have loaded Borland C++ builder 6 and would like to start learning.
    I like to learn programming from existing code such as this project, something I have an interest in using. I have always shared my findings and code snipets with others and I will be more than happy to share what I develop for this project with others BUT I'm off to a slow start.... One of the main edits that I would like to work on would be to save alot of the info that this program gathers into a database so the data can be analyzed at a later time.

PROBLEM

The first thing I wanted to do was compile the existing code and run it to make sure I had that down.... I opened the .cpp code from the server application. I compile and have errors:

[Linker Error] Unresolved external '__InitVCL' referenced from D:\CBUILDER6\LIB\CP32MTI.LIB|crtlvcl

[Linker Error] Unresolved external '__ExitVCL' referenced from D:\CBUILDER6\LIB\CP32MTI.LIB|crtlvcl

I then opened a new console application and copied the code from the .cpp into it. Those errors are now gone and the reason is the #include <vcl.h> statement that came from opening a new application.

Now the problem is:

[C++ Error] aclapi.h(125): E2015 Ambiguity between 'PACCESS_MASK' and 'Windows::PACCESS_MASK'

I kinda stopped at this point realizing I should look more into the C++ projects, compilers and includes before going into editing the myseq application. If anyone can kinda help me get past these initial humps, I would sure appreciate it. I have always been one to just jump right into things and would much rather start coding in the application than re-invent the wheel when it comes to the basics.

Thanks in advance, hope to be contributing improvements to the application soon!

This project is based on the .Net framework so unfortunately the borland compiler will not help you unless they have written a .net version.

the .Net framework is a free download and conatins a compiler, so in theory you do not require micorsoft's .net development studio, but it might proove a difficult task to write .net code without it.

The server is written in, net c++, and the client in c#

Past the compiler problems...

Well, that was just some silly mistake on my part.... I had tried to use a statement to pause the server and wait on 'hit any key to continue' so i could see some new 'print' outputs I had placed in the program. Didn't put he include in for the function...

Yes, I am up and developing in C++ Borland. So far all I have worked with is the client but it is working fine after downloading .net.

Is there any version floating around there which has more commenting in the server package? I am currently needing to work with the ReadProcessMemory function more. I would like to package data differently than the current server does so that I can feed it straight to the database I whipped up for spawn info. How are the offsets determined? If I can figure out where the info I want is, I will package it in a neat little array that is structured after my database fields :-)
    I also would kinda like to make a database for item stats. I know there are lots of web sites out there with this, but I would like one to update a personal character profile.... Guess I'm trying to re-do what has already been done with such as magelo, but hey... this kinda practice is a great way for me to get into this language :-)

Thanks again for any replies :-)

For details of the memory structures used by everquest, your best resource is Macroquest website.

Download their latest source, and take a look at the eqlib project.

Look for "struct _SPAWNINFO" + "struct _CHARINFO" in MQ.h to get yourself started.

Thread Information