Thread: Help with SEQ Networking!

Help with SEQ Networking!

Hello.

I would like to begin with stating that I have indeed read the FAQ. The purpose of this post is to purely ensure that I am on the right track to set up my network at home properly, which will result in SEQ successfully working. I came across several posts on your well maintained forum, which have lead me to my solution; I just need some help to confirm that I indeed have the right solution! SEQ IS compiled correctly, and launches, however, just like some of the other people that have posted, I am unable to "Sniff" any packets from my EQ System. Thus, leading me to the conclusion that it is indeed a networking issue.

What I currently have: Dsl into an actiontec Dual Mode Wireless-Ready Cable/DSL Router. DSL IS PPPoE

http://www.actiontec.com/products/br...fications.html

The router is providing DHCP for the following systems:

From the Router, I have 2 systems: 1 XP box that runs EQ, and 1 PIII 600 box that runs RedHat 9.0.

From the FAQ, I gather that because my DSL is PPoE, I have 2 solutions available to me:

--1:Rewrite SEQ so that it can detect EverQuest packets inside PPPoE packets. If you do this, please submit a patch to CVS.
    --2:Get a device which translates PPPoE into normal Ethernet. This may sound like a rare device that you have never heard of, but it isn't. It is just a resedential gateway/router like the ones from LinkSys, Dlink or 3com (or who ever else). You can also use a linux computer which is using PPPoE software on the DSL interface and normal ethernet on the internal network. Just be sure to keep that hub too.

Well, option one is most certainly an option for me, lol. I believe that my router is such a device described in option 2, that it can translate PPoE into normal Ethernet. From what I understand, all i will need is a good ole' plain hub. So that My network would look like this: Actiontec Router <-->Hub<-->XP and Linux Systems.
    Is this correct? Would it be in my best interest to stop DHCP from being done from the Actiontec, and firing it up on the Linux box? I wanted to know this before I attempt to go and find a hub later tomorrow.

I appreciate all of your help! Thank you once again everyone!

KpTone.

Actually your problem isn't the PPPoE packets, but the fact that your router is a switch and therefore SEQ can't sniff the EQ traffic.

Two solutions, you pick:

1> Purchase a hub, connect both computers to the hub, and the hub then to the router/switch/modem.

2> Use the Linux box as a router (it'll need two NIC cards, one for LAN, one for WAN). You'll also need a crossover cable, OR a switch/hub. The topography is: EQ Computer -> [Switch/Hub] | [CAT5 Crossover] -> Linux Box (SEQ) -> Router(WAN).

Note: I have Switch/Hub and CAT5 Crossover bracketed... You need to choose how to connect your EQ computer to the Linux box: Directly via a CAT5 Crossover cable, OR use a Switch or Hub... do NOT use a CAT5 Crossover with a Switch/Hub.

There is a 3rd solution, but it's cheesy, and I'll only suggest it if you indicate that you're too cheap to use one of the 2 solutions above.

In either solution, SEQ will be able to "sniff" packets.

Good luck.
    ---
    EQDoze .oO(Zzz...)
    Who needs fingers to play EverQuest?
    I use my forehead.

Well, took advice, headed over to the store, and bought a hub. Turns out from what I've read, its a hub, but is doing switching as well. I bought a Linksys NH1005. I cant see a darn thing on my linux box with a tcpdump, so I guess that will be going back in the mornin.

Oh well, guess I'll try another hub.

Developer
    I bought a Siemens Speedstream for about $15 and it works beautifully -- I think it's discontinuted though, but just so you get an idea.

Originally posted by kptone
    Well, took advice, headed over to the store, and bought a hub. Turns out from what I've read, its a hub, but is doing switching as well. I bought a Linksys NH1005. I cant see a darn thing on my linux box with a tcpdump, so I guess that will be going back in the mornin.

Oh well, guess I'll try another hub.
    A nice cheap Netgear hub should work nicely.

Enjoy,
    Zaphod (dohpaZ)
    Chief Software Engineer of the Apocalypse.
    http://showeq.doomed.to/
    SourceForge.net user: dohpaz.

Personal thank you donations are now accepted.

So I took that Hub back, or so called hub I should say lol. Guess what I'm going to do is setup the RedHat box to masquerade to the XP box. I figure that way, I'll save some money, and not only that, have a guaranteed route for the EQ packets to travel through the Redhat box to the internet. Besides, I'm cheap as hell, and have a second NIC in the RedHat box! I have found a ton of resources on masquerading on the net, so the setup should be fairly easy. Let me ask you all this though, is the following configuration correct?

NET---->|Switch|---eth0--->|RH Box|---eth1--xover---->|XP Box|

Oh, btw looks like my dsl isn't PPPoE, it's PPPoA. Don't think that will make a diff though, as the Actiontec is spitting out what appears to be regular Ethernet. Also, am I correct in assuming that I will need to enable DHCP on the RH Box, and disable it on the Actiontec Switch? In that case all i would need to do is set the Actiontec as my default gateway, and point both boxes to it, setting the network information on the RH Box; I have also found a plethora of information on how to do this.

Thanks again everyone, for your time, advice, and patience!

KpTone
    Last edited by kptone; 11-02-2003 at 07:34 PM.

Using your solution, you are creating kind of a double chain of NAT. I would suggest (if you want to use the option you are descirbing) ditching the router.

Just hook your linux box to the dsl modem and using a pppoe/a client for linux on eth0 (connected to dsl modem) and run the dhcpd on eth1 (connected to a hub/switch OR directly to xp).

In the situation you describe above, here is a brief description of how it would work (and why it is kind of silly).

The "router" device would be your first NAT. Hooked to that is your linux box. Hooked to that is your XP box. The linux box would have its gateway be the "router" device, the XP box would have its gateway be the linux box... and the router's gateway is of course your dsl modem. I suppose it is possible using some real (fairly uncomplicated probably) routeing and just router through the linux box to the dsl router... but thats not what you generally find on the internet for setting up what you are talking about

Really, the simplest thing for you to do is buy a cheap 100mbit hub on ebay or where ever, using the forums to find one that is for sure a hub. The problem with having your linux computer in the chain is... what happens when you fuck something up? You lose internet on your XP machine and to fix that you have to fiddle with network cables and/or settings. Your $50 router probably isn't ever going to fail in the same way that accidentally doing "rm -Rf /" will do to a linux box.

success!

It was much easier than i anticipated. I was able to assign eth0 to dhcp to the router, xover to eth1 -- the xp box--, set up masq on the linux box, set a static ip on that one (to save time, no need to config dhcp on the linux box as it is only serving 1 system), all done.

Great thing is, my network is more secure now, then it was before, so SEQ gave me the motivation to set up a router/firewall on the linux box; somthing I haven't had the joy of doing in a few years. Most excellent!

SEQ is awesome, and I'm very excited to get to learn it more. I was able to see everything, literally lol.

Thank you all again for all of your help, and most importantly, thx for no flames!

KpTone

Thank you for posting an intelligent question on valid subject matter after apparently reading the relevant documentation.
    To search, or not to search,--that is the question:--
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous flaming
    Or to take a look at the search function,
    And by using it, end them?

In this age, someone should probably remove "hub" from the FAQ and replace it with a specific parts list of know working "hubs". I would be willing to bet that all the "hubs" available for sale in any given store are actually a switchs. The only place I can find "real hubs" anymore is on ebay.

I should be able to take care of that in the next few days. Meant to update the FAQ for a while but I've just been too busy. I'm going to be spending some significant time in a hotel room soon here, so I forsee an update shortly.

Isn't using two nics in your linux machine making it a bridge?

I don't think that this is really needed is it?

Can't you just set up ip-chains, and set your windows box to use the linux box as it's default gateway?

Every packet would then have to go through your linux box before it hit the net wouldn't it?

You are correct, however in this case it also entails setting up some kind of PPPoE software. Which isn't that big of deal, basically he took the easy way out without buying a hub.
    "What you've just said is one of the most insanely, idiotic things i've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherant response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points, and may god have mercy on your soul."

Originally posted by Dedpoet
    I should be able to take care of that in the next few days. Meant to update the FAQ for a while but I've just been too busy. I'm going to be spending some significant time in a hotel room soon here, so I forsee an update shortly.
    Would it be easier to just place [10 BaseT] hub in the FAQ, as apposed to a list of working items? I have personally noticed that 10/100 hubs do a divisioning between ports. I have found no hubs that only support 10BaseT to not work...

Thread Information