Thread: Gcc3

Cool Gcc3

Wow. I've been compiling GCC3 for the last 3 hours :P

Anyone know if you can just use the rpms? I tried with
    gcc-3.0.2-0.1.i386.rpm
    gcc-c++-3.0.2-0.1.i386.rpm
    gcc-g77-3.0.2-0.1.i386.rpm
    cpp-3.0.2-0.1.i386.rpm
    but got an error to the affect of "C++ compiler can not make executables" when I ran the ./configure. I tested it out with some other things and gcc could in fact produce working binaries so I went back to the 2.96-98 version of gcc and I'm currently building a new GCC off of GNU's latest cvs.

Can someone stop me if I'm going down the wrong path :P
    -- Exo

Question GCC and QT

While your looking... does anyone know if there's an RPM of QT2.3.2?

I'm not looking forward to the amount of time it's going to take to compile that too...

Even if there was a rpm for qt-2.3.2 it wouldn't work for this. Your going to have to compile your own qt but I'm not sure you have to compile GCC (which is what I'm doing now)
    -- Exo

Unhappy GCC and QT

Well, I got GCC and all it's support installed without a problem... like I said, I'm just not looking forward to the compile of QT.... It's going to take a while... I might need to shave a couple of times before it's done

Oh well, it was worth asking.

where did you get gcc3 and qt from?

GCC is located at gcc.gnu.org
    QT is located at www.trolltech.com

Well GCC3 and C++3 are built and working! Yeah!

I'm now building QT.

Now, I'd like a statment from the team on if this was done intentionaly to make it hard to install.

I'm not bitching either way but there where some MINOR changes that atleast I had to make to the QT src to get it to build with GCC3 and C++3. And I'd like to point them out if it wasn't intentionally done that way to weed people out (which I'm against anyway but I'm willing to respect the wishes of Ratt and his team).
    Last edited by Exo; 12-20-2001 at 07:19 PM.
    -- Exo

What changes did you have to make to build QT? Mine built straight out of the tarball, no problem.

Well actually it's not a src change per say, more of a config file change to linux-g++-shared.

Don't want to go into more details for two reasons; the first being I'm not sure Ratt didn't make it hard on purpose and second mine isn't done building yet and I'd hate to post it and have people trying only to have my build fail after 2 hours.
    -- Exo

I really dont think they require gcc3 and qt2.3.2 to make things difficult. I have seen valid reasons for both. I didnt have to change the config file because I removed the references to gcc2.96 and replaced them with gcc3... atleast until that gives me problems with something else .

That was my thought on it .. I don't see why Ratt would need a compiler upgrade to make things hard though I'm still not sure how a threaded QT compile is different than a normal one (that's the focus of my learning at this point, it works but I want to know why :P )

It's obvious though you know what changes I'm talking about, they are somewhat less global than the route you took and I don't know or trust gcc3 enough to do that yet.

WOOOO!!!! QT just started linking!
    -- Exo

Well best guess that I can make is that you have to use a version qt that was built with gcc 3. I think this is due to name mangling issues in c++ libraries. This may only apply to RedHat who used a bogus 2.96 gcc. Yet another reason this move was a bad idea (it was dumb of RH to use 2.96 development compiler as well... why do people alway try to use the bleeding edge when not necessary).

I could be wrong. Under RedHat 7.2 I just tried using qt 2.3.2 rpm from the rawhide branch (redhat development) and it fails to link with basic qt functions not found, same error when I force it to use qt 2.3.1. So I guess I will build qt myself like everyone else. Seems like an unneeded hassle as it has potential for making a machine difficult to use for other development (re: gcc 3 that is). There is almost no legimate reason to use gcc 3 at this point in time. But whatever, they will do what they want. I suppose if I really cared I'd dig into the code and see what gcc 3 features they were abusing and fix it to do something else. But I will just conform to what they say we have to do and once I have it working I won't care. It just means we all have to put up with much unnecessary traffic on these boards trying to help people sort out what they need to do. Sooner or later someone will just produce a precompiled rpm and post it all over and defeat the whole point of this.

Forgive my ranting.

Now on to compiling qt... hope I have enough disk space.

Well .... just finished the qt compile and hit another snag in the ./configure

checking for deque.h... no
    configure: error: cannot find deque.h

anyone seen this one before?
    -- Exo

did a little research and it seems that the ./configure is telling me it can't find a libstdc++ that it likes.

Now this could be because I have GCC 3.0.2 and GCC3 3.0.1. Now for GCC3 I have libstdc++3-3.0.1 to go with it but I didn't have libstdc++-3.0.2 to go with my GCC compiler. My knee jerk reaction was to get a new libstdc++ but then I realized that Showeq should be compiling with GCC3 anyway, not GCC (which is missing the libstdc++). Everyone with me so far ... good.

SO, I think an easy fix would be to move GCC3 into GCC's spot (something I wanted to avoid doing) and doing the configure again but something tells me there is another way that I'm not seeing.

Any further direction is welcome as I continue to work at this.

If nothing else this thread shows I'm working and learning :P
    -- Exo

Instead of moving GCC around just change your symbolic links on gcc and g++ to point to the new gcc-3.0.2 and g++-3.0.2 files.

Thread Information