Thread: Problems with Mandrake 8.1 and ipchains.

Problems with Mandrake 8.1 and ipchains.

Ok, I'm somewhat confused as I have two almost identical systems and had the error on one but not the other.

The error?

When I type:
    ipchains -P forward DENY

I get:
    Protocol Not Available

See I had the problem on one system when I only had 1 nic, so I installed a second Nic, then ran an update of Mandrake to make it notice that I added in the NIC. I know sloppy but easy for me.

The other system, I installed this nic into it first, then installed Mandrake 8.1 but I'm getting the same errors and updating and changing different components gives me the "Protocol Not Available" however ip_forward is listed in my ipv4 folder.

The systems are as follows:
    AMD 1400
    2x256mb PC133
    80GB HDD (5gb Linux 512mb swap)
    3Com Nic (10/100)
    SB Live!
    ATI Radeon VE 64mb

AMD 1400
    2x128mb PC133
    40GB HDD (5gb Linux 256 swap)
    3Com NIC (10/100)
    SB Live!
    ATI Radeon VE 64mb

The extra nic: SMC 1211/Accton NIC (10/100)

I have not as of yet determined the problem on #2, I even went as far as deleting the partitions and rebuilding and still getting the same problem. When I was running it on #1 ShowEQ was working without any problems, but due to my desk configuration having it on #2 is better plus I'd rather pound away at a software problem then half to rearrange all my equipment

So if anyone has any suggestions, short of just replacing the damned SMC with another NIC, I'd appreciate it.

note: anything misspelled is because I'm tired, feel free to point and laugh.

try:

ipchains -L
    iptables -L

one will respond properly, other will not work.

you really need to use iptables in rh 7.2. i have seen many many posts from the old forums complaining of getting disconnected at every zone when using ipchains and kernel 2.4.x. so, switch to iptables :)

Thread Information