Thread: ShowEQ on a switch in a dorm

ShowEQ on a switch in a dorm

Well, this summer I used showeq just fine for months, on a switch, at my home. I hooked em into the switch, and set up my computers as described in that huge switch thread... I ran those three lines of code, and then set the default gateway of the everquest computer to the linux box. It was great.

Now I'm in a dorm room though, and I do the exact same thing, and it isn't working. My friend who knows more about these things than I says its because there are already a series of switches throughout the building that is making the internet work for all of us 1000s of college students, and that I will probably never get showeq to work on a switch in those conditions. Is that true? Can I make showeq work in a dorm? I could buy a router and try it that way, but routers are forbidden, you're only supposed to have switches...

What do you guys think?

Re: ShowEQ on a switch in a dorm

put a second NIC in the linux box and set it up to act as a router for your EQ system (man iptables).

Dorm Outlet <--> NIC 1 (linux)
    NIC 2 (linux) <--> NIC (EQ system)

buy a hub for the room. Plug it in to your network and connect your machines via the hub.

Hub eBay ten dolla.

I said in my post that routers are forbidden, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Cryonic, I'm not sure how to do what you suggested. The three lines I used to type into the terminal are:

iptables --table nat --apend POSTROUTING --out-interface eth0 -j MASQUERADE

iptables append FORWARD --in-interface eth0 -j ACCEPT

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Can you tell me how I should change those lines? If you need information I can get from ifconfig, let me know and I'll send you a screenshot of what comes up when I run that.

A hub and a switch are different but similar things. A hub and a router are very different things.

Is it specifically routers that are prohibited?

Oh - further info...

What Cryonic is talking about is using the SEQ box as a router (If this is acceptable, then a hub surely should be).

I use my linux machine as a router and it works great. I use MonMotha's IP Tables script. It was a hell of a lot easier than working iptables out for my setup.... I think I was up and running with about 5 minutes of finding the script. My link to it is non functional, but I'm sure google would help.

As an aside, if anyone reading this has any more up to date firewall scripts, please PM or post one.

This is the script you're talking about?

http://monmotha.mplug.org/firewall/d...firewall-2.3.8
    Last edited by brickWall; 09-09-2006 at 10:51 AM.

Ok, I ran the script. What did I just do? I set the windows default gateway to the linux box, and I can't get online, still.

Buy the $10 hub. They can't tell you are using one unless someone sees it in your room. Hide it.

Noobian

It's possible they could be monitoring the number of MAC addresses behind each port.

To get around using a hub, router, or switch, you need your Linux box to have 2 network cards. NICs are even cheaper than hubs.

Thread Information