Thread: To all Beta Testers - Beta 1.19.2 is over.

Threaded View

Re: To all Beta Testers

I think you got things a bit backwards. What makes the beta 'closed'? It was open to anyone in the public who asked. The source code was already checked into CVS even before the announcement went out. I never told anyone they could not redistribute it. So where in there, in the sense of open source, did I close anything? I chose to limit the number of beta users that *I* distribute the binary to, but that is totally my option and within my rights, so long as I provide the source too, which I did. As I have stated already, I did not want to post a beta on SF, only because I felt it to be a waste of resources. If I put a beta out there and 500 people download it, only to find out there was a nasty bug (which there IS in the beta by the way), then I would have to put another, then another, then another, etc. Then I have 7 different versions out in the wild, and who knows who has what if someone reports a problem.

I've been coding since 1979. I've been involved with public software and alphas, betas and releases since 1995. I've seen a lot of things done right and a lot more done wrong. Limiting public betas, in my professional opinon, is the right thing to do. This, in no way, makes it 'closed'. And ending the beta does not make it closed in the open-source sense, and you know it. When you say 'closed' and 'GPL' in the same sentence, you are attempting to invoke thoughts of privately kept source. Something I have never done.

It takes me longer to find ground offsets than anything else. Primarily because I have not added in a ground offset scanner to the server like I have for the other offsets. As for the contribution from the individual who helped me with the grounditems, the code that was supplied was only a small portion of what was needed, and even so was a cut/paste of my code from another part of the server, but with 'item' replaced for 'spawn'. Don't get me wrong, the key things I was looking for were 1) how can I scan for grounditems and 2) start me off with an example so I can get used to it. Both of these he did, and for that I am grateful. As for the coding part, which took me about 15 hours, I used little to none of what was posted.

You are totally changing things to make your argument sound plausible. I didn't have to do a public beta. In most cases it causes more harm than good. Part of the reason I thought it was a good idea was to have others help me collect the information. This was implicitly agreed to. So therefore they are not living up to the standards I want them to, that is true, but you leave out the fact that they are not living up to the standards they agreed to. I had, infact, started trying to do this all myself. Then I realized how much of a time sink it was traveling everywhere for the sole purpose of collecting this information. It dawned on me I could ask others for help in collecting this. I knew not everyone would, but I was hoping one or two of them would help out like I expected.

I don't even know why I try and explain it. You argue like my 5 year old. You know I am right and you understand my point of view, it just collides with what you think should be done, so therefore you need to belittle me. And you will just continue to argue your mundane points, twist my words around and salt your argument with sparkled bullshit.

My original post was totally benign with the exception of the last part. The last part was not a threat, because I am not taking away something they currently have. I just am not going to *give* anymore in the future. That is not a threat. People are not going to die because I no longer look for ground offsets. Hell they won't even be maimed. I'd be surprised if anyone even got the sniffles. Once when I was sick, a friend made me dinner. Does that mean everytime I am sick I should expect that friend to make me dinner? If they don't, is that a threat? Gimme a break. *That* is fucked up. If someone else wants to find the GI offsets and post them, cool. I am not going to stop them. But I don't have to do it myself, and if I don't do it, I should not be called a dick by you or anyone else.

Your reply was totally harsh. You drew a sword, so I drew mine.

FWIW, everything I have ever done for MySEQ is checked into SF CVS (and usually is within a few days of it being written). Everything. So I can't really take my ball and go home, nor did I ever say I would (or even could). The playground already owns it.
    Last edited by Seaxouri; 03-21-2007 at 08:16 AM.
    Thanks for all the donuts.

Thread Information