Thread: ShowEQ Network Setup Question

ShowEQ Network Setup Question

Has anyone gotten the following set-up to work? It seems like an easy 1-machine solution:

Internet > Linux (Running ShowEQ) > Running A Virtual Machine (Windows XP, Running EQ)

Since the packets are running through Linux, and then being sent to the VM running EQ, this should be possible, right?

Or am I missing a critical thinking step in the process?

Re: ShowEQ Network Setup Question

By default the hypervisor (your Linux box) doesn't have access to the virtual NIC's packets. I think you'll have to change some settings to see them.

I run EQ under Wine. Showeq sees the packets quite nicely that way.
    There is probably better video performance with Wine than a VM.

What will you be using to run the VM? Pretty sure Virtualbox treats everything passing traffic on the default network like a hub, and can sniff any client set to bridge.

I have used VirtualBox on a Windows machine for a one-box setup. 4.0.2 defaulted that the guest OS was connected by a virtual hub, and could see all packets passing to both the host and guest machine; this allowed ShowEQ to be installed on a guest OS, and everything just worked. Sometime between 4.0.2 and 4.0.8, that changed, now you need to edit the .vbox file and add a line stating
    Code:
    <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/e1000/0/LUN#0/Config/IfPolicyPromisc" value="allow-all"/>
    with e100/0/LUN#0 changed to match which network card you want to make promiscuous; or you can use VBoxManage and change that policy via the command line.

Should work easily the other way, but with a few different network settings.

Thread Information