Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RedHat 7.2 users (and possibly 7.1 if you can find the correct RPMS).

Exclamation RedHat 7.1 & 7.2 users guide.

ShowEQ Install for newbies (RedHat 7.1/7.2 edition)
    Copyright 2001-2002 Zaphod ([email protected])
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

[list]
    [*] RedHat 7.1 users, do the following:
    Strongly consider upgrading to RedHat 7.2 as I have expanded it's section to cover more issues as well as RedHat 7.2 generally being a better release, but if you choose to stick with 7.1, here's the short form:
    [list=1][*] You can receive the required RPMs and dependencies from the following sites: West Coast rpmfind, East Coast rpmfind, or RedHat

binutils-2.11.90.0.8-9.i386.rpm
    glibc-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm
    glibc-common-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm
    glibc-devel-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm
    gcc3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    libgcc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    libstdc++3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    libstdc++3-devel-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm

[*] Install them using the following commands:
    Code:
    $ rpm -Uhv glibc-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm glibc-common-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm glibc-devel-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm 
    $ rpm -Uhv binutils-2.11.90.0.8-9.i386.rpm 
    $ rpm -ihv gcc3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm libgcc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm libstdc++3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm libstdc++3-devel-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    [/list=1]
    [*] RedHat 7.2 users do the following:
    [list=1][*] Make sure you have the following RPMS installed (list expanded to deal with those who didn't install a development environment):
    gcc3
    gcc3-c++
    libgcc
    libstdc++3
    libstdc++3-devel
    libpcap-0.6.2
    zlib
    zlib-devel
    gdbm-1.8.0
    gdbm-devel-1.8.0
    gd
    gd-devel
    kernel-headers
    glibc-devel
    XFree86-libs-4.1.0
    XFree86-devel-4.1.0
    cvs
    patch
    make
    m4
    libtool
    libtool-libs
    autoconf
    automake
    binutils
    libpng
    libpng-devel
    libjpeg
    libjpeg-devel
    libmng
    libmng-devel
    freetype

A script that will test if the necessary RPMs are installed can be downloaded from http://www.doomed.to/showeq/checkdeps.sh. Make sure to give the downloaded script execute permissions and run it as follows:
    Code:
    $ chmod a+x <download_dir>/checkdeps.sh
    $ <download_dir>/checkdeps.sh
    Replace <download_dir> with wherever you downloaded the script to.

Or You can verify that the RPMs are installed manually using the following commands:
    Code:
    $ rpm -q gcc3 gcc3-c++ libgcc libstdc++3 libstdc++3-devel |grep not
    $ rpm -q libpcap-0.6.2 zlib zlib-devel gdbm-1.8.0 gdbm-devel-1.8.0 gd gd-devel kernel-headers |grep not
    $ rpm -q glibc-devel XFree86-libs-4.1.0 XFree86-devel-4.1.0 |grep not
    $ rpm -q cvs patch make m4 libtool libtool-libs autoconf automake binutils |grep not
    $ rpm -q libpng libpng-devel libjpeg libjpeg-devel libmng libmng-devel freetype | grep not
    If nothing is listed as not installed then skip to "Installing Qt".
    [*] Find any missing RPMs
    The follwoing RPMS are found on RedHat 7.2 CD 1: libpcap gdbm kernel-headers XFree86-libs-4.1.0 make m4
    The following RPMS are found on RedHat 7.2 CD 2: gcc3 gcc3-c++ libgcc libstdc++3 libstdc++3-devel zlib-devel gdbm-devel gd-devel glibc-devel XFree86-devel-4.1.0 cvs patch autoconf automake binutils libpng-devel libjpeg-devel libmng-devel

All the RPMs can be retrieved from the following sites if you don't have the RedHat 7.2 CD's: West Coast rpmfind, East Coast rpmfind, or RedHat
    [*] Install missing RPMs available from the RedHat 7.2 CD 1
    Insert the RedHat 7.2 CD 1 cd into the CDROM drive, then issue the following commands:
    Code:
    $ mount /mnt/cdrom
    $ cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/
    $ rpm -ihv kernel-headers-2.4.7-10.i386.rpm XFree86-libs-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm gdbm-1.8.0-10.i386.rpm zlib-1.1.3-24.i386.rpm
    $ rpm -ihv  m4-1.4.1-5.i386.rpm make-3.79.1-8.i386.rpm libtool-libs-1.4-8.i386.rpm  libpcap-0.6.2-9.i386.rpm
    $ rpm -ihv  gd-1.8.4-4.i386.rpm libjpeg-6b-16.i386.rpm libmng-1.0.2-1.i386.rpm libpng-1.0.12-2.i386.rpm freetype-2.0.3-7.i386.rpm 
    $ cd /
    $ eject cdrom
    If you are not missing any other files, proceed to "Installing Qt"
    [*] Install missing RPMs available from the RedHat 7.2 CD 2
    Insert the RedHat 7.2 CD 2 into your CDROM drive, then issue the following commands:
    Code:
    $ mount /mnt/cdrom
    $ cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/
    $ rpm -ihv gcc3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm libgcc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm libstdc++3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm libstdc++3-devel-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    $ rpm -ihv autoconf-2.13-14.noarch.rpm automake-1.4p5-2.noarch.rpm binutils-2.11.90.0.8-9.i386.rpm cvs-1.11.1p1-3.i386.rpm 
    $ rpm -ihv libtool-1.4-8.i386.rpm patch-2.5.4-10.i386.rpm 
    $ rpm -ihv gdbm-devel-1.8.0-10.i386.rpm gd-devel-1.8.4-4.i386.rpm glibc-devel-2.2.4-13.i386.rpm 
    $ rpm -ihv XFree86-devel-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm zlib-devel-1.1.3-24.i386.rpm
    $ rpm -ihv libjpeg6a-6a-8.i386.rpm libjpeg-devel-6b-16.i386.rpm libmng-devel-1.0.2-1.i386.rpm libpng-devel-1.0.12-2.i386.rpm 
    $ cd /
    $ eject cdrom
    If there weren't any errors, the required RPMs are now installed.
    [/list=1]
    [*] Installing Qt

You have two options here either download the RPM's I've made available or download and compile Qt yourself.

1. Installing Qt using the RPMs I've provided
      You need to get the Qt 2.3.2 RPMs compiled with Gcc3 for Redhat 7.1/7.2. They are available at http://www.doomed.to/showeq and ftp://azriel.trifocus.net/pub/redhat. The specific RPMs you need for ShowEQ are qt-gcc3-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm and qt-gcc3-devel-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm.

To install the RPMs use the following command:
      Code:
      rpm -ihv qt-gcc3-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm qt-gcc3-devel-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm
      These RPMs install Qt under /opt/qt-gcc3-2.3.2. I have provided a script /opt/bin/useqt232 that can be sourced to set the appropriate environment variables to compile ShowEQ with this copy of Qt. You source the script as follows:
      Code:
      $ . /opt/bin/useqt232
    2. Installing and compiling Qt 2.3.2
      If you have not already done so, download the sources to qt-2.3.2 from ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz, the patch attached to this post (also found at http://www.doomed.to/showeq/qt-2.3.2-gcc3.patch). Then download the handy dandy shell script I provide for setting the Qt related environment variables from http://www.doomed.to/showeq/useqt232 and save it under the /opt/bin diretory (making an /opt/bin directory if necessary).

To compile qt-2.3.2 using the 3.x compiler from the RedHat RPMS do the following (in order):
      Code:
      $ cd /opt
      $ gtar xzvf <download_dir>/qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz
      $ gunzip -c <download_dir>/qt-2.3.2-gcc3.patch | patch -p 0
      $ mv qt-2.3.2 qt-gcc3-2.3.2
      $ cd qt-gcc3-2.3.2
      $ . /opt/bin/useqt232
      $ configure -release -shared -gif -xft -sm -system-libmng -system-zlib -system-libpng -system-jpeg -no-g++-exceptions -thread
      $ make
      Replace <download_dir> with wherever you downloaded the files to. You also might want to put the environment variable setting stuff into a shell script for later reuse. [/list=1]

The options to configure are more or less taken from the qt.spec file from the RedHat qt-2.3.1 SRPM, the main option that is really needed is -thread.
    3. Get libEQ.a
      Download the libEQ.a file from ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net/pub/libeq/i386/linux (with md5sum4e9d9772132fc63ea8860cc2fdb2905d ) and place it in your /usr/local/lib directory.
    4. ShowEQ getting, configuring and compiling
      After you have successfully installed/compiled qt-2.3.2 (using the g++ 3.x compilers and the -thread configuration option) and installed libEQ.a you can get ShowEQ and configure it by doing the following (where <yourdir> is where you want to put the ShowEQ sources):
      Code:
      $ cd <yourdir>
      $ export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq
      $ cvs login
            Hit enter when prompted for a password
      $ cvs checkout showeq
      $ cd showeq
      $ . /opt/bin/useqt232
      $ export CXX=g++3
      $ export CC=gcc3
      $ make -f Makefile.dist
      $ ./configure
      Then do make as usual:
      Code:
      $ make
      su to root, and install ShowEQ
      Code:
      $ su 
         Enter your linux systems root password
      $ make install
      If this is your first time using a new version of showeq, make sure to either update your showeq.conf file based on showeq.conf.dist or create a showeq.conf file based on it. Typically you put the resulting showeq.conf under /usr/local/share/showeq/ .

To run the resulting binary, su to root, and then run showeq (you can add command line options to suit):
      Code:
      $ showeq

And theoretically, if you did everything correctly and I didn't have too many typos ShowEQ should run as expected.

Note, since a recent patch, you no longer have to set environment variables to run the ShowEQ executable. So do not put the environment variable stuff into your .profile, .bashrc, .cshrc, or .login files as doing so may break KDE.

Using this procedure you do not have to uninstall anything, nor change any links manually.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy,
    Zaphod (dohpaZ)

P.S. The copyright notice at the top is mainly to put unscrupulous guide writers on notice not to copy this into their guides and sell them. ;)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zaphod; 01-05-2002 at 10:50 PM.
    Chief Software Engineer of the Apocalypse.
    http://showeq.doomed.to/
    SourceForge.net user: dohpaz.

Personal thank you donations are now accepted.

One Word
    THANK YOU
    Ok 2 words then

Works perfect

\\\ Topgun

\\\ Topgun

It worked

Previously, I was getting the "Be sure you have at least GCC 3 blah blah" message.

This post fixed it... the solution was the two export lines, CC and CXX. Go figure. Once I exported those two it worked like a charm.

Thanks Zaphod.

Crud...:( Error in Make of QT

RH7.1 followed all steps in this thread and have the exact libraries suggested. Make ran for about 40 mins and abended.

make[3]: *** [Kernel/qmngio.o] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt/src'
    make[2]: *** [src-mt] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt'
    make[1]: *** [src-mt] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt'
    make: *** [init] Error 2

Ideas please?

Chuin

Please post the entire error message, what you posted is just make exiting out of its directory. Post about 10-20 lines above what you have there.

RPMFIND

When I follow the link to RPMFIND I do not see those files. It looks like there are older versions of those GCC3 files available, but the ones required for Show EQ are not there. I found these files by going to www.tucows.com and searching for GCC. They are a real bitch to install, I hope I got it right after about 2 hours.

I also can not get the files from the CVS site, I think I have a firewall in the way (at work, cannot tell). I can get the Sourceforge FTP site but all of the copies of SEQ there are old. <b>Is there somewhere else that I can download the V4 SEQ files from? Can you put them out on the FTP Site for us?</b>

Thanks,
    EZ

Be gentle , I am willing to do whatever I have to do, and learn whatever I have to learn to get this installed, but this is all new to me. If I could figure out a way to get the files in one mass download from the Browse CVS area I would get them that way, but it looks like you have to download them one at a time from there and there are just too many.

How to cut from Terminal?

I need to post about 30 lines of the text from my QT make attempt but the terminal does not allow me to CTRL C or cut text to paste into this thread. Short of just typeing the 30 or so lines is there a faster way?

PS.. I tried make | log

Chuin's error

It looks like you may have the same problem I did, missing libmng.h (This is for animated png files as opposed to animated gif files)

Grab it from here and it should take care of your problem.

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linu...0.0-2.i386.rpm

CORRECT LOCATION FOR NEW LIBS

Hey all, after pokin around and finding another thread on another board. I found the indicated versions of

binutils-2.11.92.0.12-4.i386.rpm
    glibc-2.2.4-20.i386.rpm
    glibc-common-2.2.4-20.i386.rpm
    glibc-devel-2.2.4-20.i386.rpm
    gcc3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    libgcc-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    libstdc++3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
    libstdc++3-devel-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linu...6/RedHat/RPMS/

Also want to thank everyone for SEQ, and all the linux help over the years.

My knowledge of Linux, and SEQ interworkings has increased 1000 fold.

Showeq compilation error

I got the following error when trying to compile Seq. Tis is after I loaded all the reccommended files, installed the patch specified, etc. Any ideas?

/usr/local/qt-2.3.2/lib/libqt-mt.so: undefined reference to `QMutex::unlock()'
    /usr/local/qt-2.3.2/lib/libqt-mt.so: undefined reference to `QMutex::locked()'
    /usr/local/qt-2.3.2/lib/libqt-mt.so: undefined reference to `QMutex::lock()'
    /usr/local/qt-2.3.2/lib/libqt-mt.so: undefined reference to `QMutex::QMutex(bool)'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [showeq] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/showeq-new/showeq/src'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/showeq-new/showeq'
    make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Smile Thanks.

Finally got QT installed. I think it took around four or five hours for me. Anyway, thanks for the help. It's running great. I went ahead and reformatted and installed a fresh copy of Red Hat 7.2 and followed your instructions. I had zero problems after I realized I was initially trying to install it on 7.0 (I spent hours trying to figure out why I was getting configure errors related to X windows).

Big thanks to all you developers. Your amazing expertise with Linux and development has led me to grow more comfortable and impressed with Linux than I thought possible... not to mention making my play time so much more efficient and enjoyable.

After installation

Hi
    I installed Seq acording to this (Zaphod's) guide yesterday, and it took like h... but worked perfectly.
    BUT when i tried to starte ShowEQ today, i got the following error.

undefined symbol: _ZN2Qt9lightGreyE

I found out, that by adding the enviroment value LD_LIBRARY_PATH again, Show EQ worked fine.

Do the following:

export QTDIR=/usr/local/qt-2.3.2
    export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    Then no prob.
    I aint no Linux expert, so i don't know where to add enviroment values, so they are permanent, that is set when booting. Anyone ???

\\\ Topgun

\\\ Topgun

Managed to get gcc3 installed using these instructions for RH7.1 but now my qt2.3.2 compile is falling over pretty early on with this error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lstdc++
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [moc] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/qt-2.3.2/src/moc'
    make[1]: *** [src-moc] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/qt-2.3.2'
    make: *** [init] Error 2

Anyone have any ideas on this one? The error occurs not right at the beginning but after it has done about 30 seconds of compiling.

Thanks.

Comparing my gcc directories it appears that my old version (2.96) had some files which 3.0.2 is missing:

cc1obj
    f771
    libgc2.a
    libobjc.a
    libobjc.la
    libobjc.so
    libobjc.so.1
    libobjc.so.1.0.0
    libstdc++.a
    libstdc++.so
    SYSCALLS.c.X

I definitely did install the lib RPMs but is it possible that these got installed to go along with the old version of gcc? If so how can I ensure that they go with my new 3.0.2?

Thanks.

patch line

nm... fixed

I know how this line works-- or is it some kind of comment??
    Last edited by TriggerHappy; 12-22-2001 at 12:40 PM.

Thread Information