Thread: ShowEQ 6 Distro Compatibility Notes

Administrator

ShowEQ 6 Distro Compatibility Notes

This thread is to document what distributions ShowEQ6 works on, and any extra steps that are required to get it to run.

If you're running a distro/version that's not listed here (or the listed info is incomplete/incorrect), please comment with the distro-specific info including details of any steps you had to take to get ShowEQ6 working.

I'll edit/update this post to reflect any new info, and ideally we'll eventually put the results into the install guide that is distributed with SEQ.

A note about Wayland:
    Qt4 does not support Wayland, so ShowEQ6 will probably not work under Wayland at this time. As such, if you're using a distro that uses Wayland by default, you'll need to make sure you're running ShowEQ under X11.

A note about network interface names:
    There are differences in network interface naming between distros. For the purposes of this post, I'll refer to them as

* classic: eth0, wlan0, etc.
    * systemd: ens0p0, wls0p0, etc.

You can find your interface name using the ifconfig or ip addr commands.

ShowEQ currently assumes your interface is eth0. If yours is different, you can pass the interface name on the ShowEQ command line with the -i switch, then "Save Preferences" to keep that setting for future sessions.

Debian 10 (buster):
    * Works with distribution-provided libraries (build-essential, libqt4-dev, libpcap0.8-dev, autoconf, automake, libtool, zlib1g-dev)
    * Uses systemd interface names

CentOS 7:
    * Works with distribution-provided libraries (group "Development Tools", qt-devel, libpcap-devel)
    * May use classic or systemd interface names
    Last edited by cn187; 11-09-2020 at 08:00 AM.

Re: ShowEQ 6 Distro Compatibility Notes

CentOS 7.8 uses the systemd not classic interface names.

Boy great minds think alike. I had just created a distro compatibility thread until I saw this one...
    Last edited by BlueAdept; 10-26-2020 at 06:34 PM.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAdept View Post
    CentOS 7.8 uses the systemd not classic interface names.
    The VM I just installed to troubleshoot Fransick's compilation issue is Centos7 and it's using classic names. Maybe it depends on the installation profile selected or something? Not sure.

I've updated the post to show that it may use either.

Maybe difference between 32 and 64? I used 64 in a virtual machine and it had something like emso3 for the interface.

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Administrator

Mine was a 64-bit install as well, so must be something else.

Administrator

Anyone try it on Centos 8? I installed it a while ago and couldn't get it working but recall seeing someone replying with a simple fix to make it compatible.

Cent0S 8 uses qt5 if you downgrade to QT4 it should work with it but I havent done that... Might need a different version of GCC

EDIT:
    I installed CentOS8. QT5 is the only package in yum offered. If you want QT4, you would have to build it from sources or located it somewhere else. There also does not seem to be a qt5-devel package. I havent gotten further and is bed time.
    Last edited by BlueAdept; 10-27-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Famous Quotes:

My CentOS 7 laptop (Lenovo T440) that I installed last night is using systemd. I can also confirm those 3 packages above is all I needed to install to get SEQ6 working. It is so much nicer on a faster machine, takes about 1 minute to make and build.

I've got this working on Arch with QT4 from the AUR.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/qt4/

Also you can pass
    Code:
    net.ifnames=0
    to the kernel at boot to get rid of the consistent interface names and bring back eth*
    Last edited by splooge; 02-17-2021 at 07:24 PM.

Thread Information