Thread: Cheap Network Tap?

Cheap Network Tap?

Has anyone tried or got something like this to work?

tap.jpg

I have a friend who is going to try to get showeq working and he doesn't have any old hubs laying around, or is there a cheaper alternative on the networking side to monitor eq ports? I have a commercial cisco switch and i configured a SPAN port. I know there are amazon items for ~$100 that are powered taps but was wondering if the $10 thing would work. Thanks.

Re: Cheap Network Tap?

I dont know if that will work since you monitor an ip/mac/interface. If you decide to do it, let me know of the result! Might be a cheap way to do it.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

Quote Originally Posted by kkmonte View Post
    Has anyone tried or got something like this to work?

tap.jpg

I have a friend who is going to try to get showeq working and he doesn't have any old hubs laying around, or is there a cheaper alternative on the networking side to monitor eq ports? I have a commercial cisco switch and i configured a SPAN port. I know there are amazon items for ~$100 that are powered taps but was wondering if the $10 thing would work. Thanks.

I am also interested to see if this work, please update us.

Mean time, I order this at amazon. Should work it has mirroring ports. I will get it on Friday, will update here if it works, 5-port.

NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch (GS108Ev3)

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Smart Managed Plus Switch (GS305E)

Last edited by faster100%; 01-27-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Funny Faster, i ordered the first one you linked, the GS108EV3 and i'll have that tomorrow. I did order that cheap network tap but its not coming till friday or saturday. I didn't see the 5 port one you found, good find! I found a 4 port one (GS104EV3) and it was 5 more dollars then the 8 port one, so i ordered the 8 port one for 50 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAdept View Post
    I dont know if that will work since you monitor an ip/mac/interface. If you decide to do it, let me know of the result! Might be a cheap way to do it.
    Will do, it's coming on saturday i think. I think in theory it should work, i think you will want to monitor the switch side of the tap and you should still be able to specify IP address and it should only grab all packets that are sent to that IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by faster100% View Post
    I am also interested to see if this work, please update us.

Mean time, I order this at amazon. Should work it has mirroring ports. I will get it on Friday, will update here if it works, 5-port.

NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch (GS108Ev3)

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Smart Managed Plus Switch (GS305E)
    I got my GS108EV3 today, and it was super easy to configure. Go into port mirroring, enable it, select source port or ports (you can have multiple, i just picked port 7) and then one destination port (i chose port 8), i plugged my workstation into port 7 and showeq into port 8 and everything worked great. I'll let everyone know about the cheap tap when I get it.

I got my GS108EV3 today, and it was super easy to configure. Go into port mirroring, enable it, select source port or ports (you can have multiple, i just picked port 7) and then one destination port (i chose port 8), i plugged my workstation into port 7 and showeq into port 8 and everything worked great. I'll let everyone know about the cheap tap when I get it.

Cool, thanks. Still waiting for my to arrive today.

I also have a GS305E. Work great.

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAdept View Post
    I also have a GS305E. Work great.
    Glad to hear that, I wasn't sure it would work.
    I am still waiting my package to show up.

I got it the GS305E it was very easy to setup and ShowEQ is working great.

GS305E (1gig networking) for $35 shipped is a good deal.
    Hope this thread helps anyone looking for a hub replacement.

Thank you
    kkmonte.

Just closing out the loop on this thread, i did test out the cheap $10 network tap, since you can only monitor traffic one way (you can pick which way), when I was monitoring the traffic from the switch side of the tap, I was able to pick up zone/mobs and stuff moved around on the map except my character. Since showeq wasn't picking up my client data (packets being sent back to eq), it doesn't show the cirlce move around or direction or nothing. So I guess in a pinch, you could use it to check to see if named are up and where mobs are, but it only provides limited function.

Thanks for the update! Too bad it didnt work

Famous Quotes:

Just want to say, I ordered a GS105Ev2 for $35 on Amazon and it's amazing for port mirroring. What a find!

Go to Goodwill, Arc Thrift stores, etc and pick up an old wifi router which is OpenWRT compatible. Mine cost me $6 for a $250 Netgrear wifi router. I flashed OpenWRT to it and mirrored one of the lan ports to my ShowEQ laptop.

Thread Information