Thread: SEQ can't find traffic on another machine

SEQ can't find traffic on another machine

Hello,

On my main computer, I am playing EQ and have SEQ running in a VM. It works fine.

I've recently added another machine on the same switch. Both the main computer's NIC is in promisc mode, as well as the the VM's interface. The interface is bridged from the VM to the host computer. The VM is not able to see traffic going to the other machine, even though they can both ping each other and exist on the parent network.

Is there anything else I can try doing to get SEQ to detect the other machine? I've tried both by IP and MAC address unsuccessfully.

Administrator

Re: SEQ can't find traffic on another machine

Unlike a hub, switches only pass traffic for the MAC address(es) associated with a given port. So since the new machine is on a different port than the main machine, only the new machine will receive traffic destined for it.
    AFAIK hubs are pretty hard to find these days, so it's no longer as simple as plugging in multiple machines.

Some switches have the ability to do "port mirroring" which will allow a port to see another port's traffic. If your switch supports this, then that's a possible solution.

Another solution might be to set up your main machine as the network gateway for the new machine, to force all the traffic from the new machine through the main machine's interface. This would require reconfiguring the network on main machine. I assume you're running Windows, and honestly I couldn't tell you how to do it on Windows any more, but it used to be possible.

I know several people have set up an extra linux machine (be it a spare low-end machine they had sitting around, or a raspberry pi, or whatever) and route all their EQ traffic through that, install SEQ on that machine and then view the UI via an exported X session, VNC, or similar.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Then I was reading something that said all NICs can be put into promisc mode these days to allow them to read any traffic going across the network.

It looks like this switch is managed and supports port mirroring. This may fix my problem!

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Gigab.../dp/B00M1C0186

I have the Netgear 108E gigabit managed switch. It works good. It also has a 5 port version for cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Por...tronics&sr=1-3

I do not know the difference between this one and the one you listed.
    Filters for ShowEQ can now be found here. filters-5xx-06-20-05.tar.gz

ShowEQ file section is here. https://sourceforge.net/project/show...roup_id=10131#

Famous Quotes:

Ratt: WTF you talkin' about BA? (Ok.. that sounds like a bad combo of Diffrent Strokes and A-Team)

Razzle: I showeq my wife

I got my NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switch (GS108Ev3) from Amazon today. Can confirm it's working.

Thread Information