Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got nothing but a blank map. thoughts?

I got nothing but a blank map. thoughts?

Folks,

I am probably missing something simple, but i installed all patches and compiled showeq with no probs. Now when i first log in map stays totally empty. When I zone it brings up the new zone map but with no representation of anything on it. not mobs, npcs, me, nothing. Any thoughts?

I am redhat 7.1 btw and used the instructions posted here to install everything without error.

Regards Repudi8or

showeq.conf

Did you make sure you set your IP Address in the showeq.conf file? Just my guess...

yep, my ip address is set correctly as is the interface. As I said, I see the packet counter in showeq on the status bar incrementing but nothing shows on the map. Also, it switches maps when I zone, so that part is working too.

Thanks in advance
    Repudi8or

Two thoughts, are you using depth filtering, and have you tried without the patches?

Try doing just a clean CVS install, check if it works, patch, check it if works, patch again...etc

hmmm. thought i fixed it by recompiling with new copy of libEQ.a but not. still getting blank map after zoning. Sigh back to drawing board ! tried a clean cvs (after totally removing seq from everywhere) same problem. Its weird that it will pick up the map change when I zone (thus obviously receiving packets ok) but will not show any objects on the map. I have also discovered if i start showeq after I am already logged in to EQ then manually load the map for the zone i am in, it will work as gps but without showing any mobs on map or in spawnlist (not even unknown is shown).

Any other ideas?

repudi8or
    Last edited by repudi8or; 12-22-2001 at 10:51 PM.

In reply to Mr Guy & RavenCT

No I am not using depth filtering.

I have not put on any of the patches

I had set correctly my ip address in showeq.conf.

Anyone got thoughts about how I can further diagnose whats going on here? I am thinking now to just upgrade the system to Redhat 7.2 and start from scratch. The thing that is annoying is that showeq seems to be receiving the data ok from libpcap its only representing it on the map it is having problems with.

Regards Repudi8or

not to beat a dead horse..

and please dont be insulted by the question, you have the ip adress of the computer that eq is running in defined in showeq.conf and not the ip adress of your linux box? if you have your linux box acting as a firewall with 2 nics, do you have the right interface defined, ie eth0 eth1..

my linux box is acting as firewall and NAT server. I have tried both the interface for the linux box on the internet with its corresponding address AND the interface going to my local lan with the ip address of the windows box where I run everquest. Same story. Is there any application error log that I can enable to see if some internal error is happening?

Regards Repudi8or

ok had to go the hard way. full new os install, patches, qt, showeq. YAY now working. no idea what the prob was before, but thatnk for trying folks.

Regards Repudi8or

Well, I may not have solved it for ya, but glad I could try...

Happy SEQing!

I know the thread's about dead since a re-install fixed the problem, but let's pretend that I'm having the same problem and I don't feel like reinstalling....

Everything builds fine, runs fine, etc. but if I launch showeq and then start EQ client, I get nothing - not even a GPS. If I launch showeq after EQ client is up, the GPS works, but as soon as I zone the correct map loads and then I lose everything, including the GPS.

The hash on my showeq binary is the same as the hash on a known good binary. Running the known good binary exhibits the same behavior. libEQ.a is the correct version, and the binary builds with decryption. Libpcap is working fine (packet counter increments, and tcpdump sees all traffic).

Gremlins?

Any ideas - other than re-install everything? It's not that I'm opposed to spending the 15 minutes rebuilding, it's just plain stupid, stubborn curiosity at this point.

MOOSIFER!

Unhappy

After 3 days of futzing and reinstalling, I finally get it to work, but I get NOTHING!! Just the packet count going up I have no idea whats wrong, I'm no good in Linux....can someone try and give me some ideas?

you can try setting in showeq.conf the ip address you are monitoring to the address of your eq client machine (ie NOT the linux box ip address) and setting the interface to the interface going to your local lan (ie NOT the interface going to the internet). This has resolved this type of issue for me before. Didnt work for me in this case. If worst comes to worst, you will just have to go the entire reinstall like I did.

Regards Repudi8or

I wasn't sure what you guys were talking about until I updated my showeq.conf file to the 4.0 version. When I next ran showeq, I got no map or gps or anything. Turning on UseOldFilters in the Filters section fixed it. (I have no idea why this worked.)

Weel, for starters, this is a new install...are there perticular packets that i might need to make sure do/don't get installed? Since installing I've install Yahoo Messenger and SEQ. I tried the UseOldFilters thing, and I got nothing. Any Other Ideas??

Thread Information