Thread: Extremely OT: computer questions

Threaded View

Extremely OT: computer questions

I just got a dual p3 board (abit vp6 - had the bp6 before running dual celerons...overclocked of course!) and one 1Ghz processor (overclocked to 1.3) with 512MB Ram (4 128's), and Raid 0 with 2 9GB ata 66 drives, running Windows XP Pro.

I can only upgrade either to another processor or 1.5GB ram right now. I am at a quandry with what I should do.

I use programs that have intensive CPU cycles (3D and multimedia programs) as much as ram intensive (games mostly).

Yes all programs use both cpu and ram, but which, in anyones opinion, would give the best performance boost? I'm from the school of thought "always add more ram!". And I know a 2nd processor isn't supposed to help much unless the program you're running supports it.

But I have noticed a HUGE difference in even running games (like EQ and UT) using 2 processors. I boot in 98se and play, then into 2k or XP and play the same game.

In the end, the system will be dual 1ghz, 2 gb ram, raid 0 scsi drives. Just have to decide which to do first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by lostpacket; 01-25-2002 at 04:29 PM.

Thread Information