Ok.. gave up on vmware.. just doesn't want to work for me.
So, i guess i will need to get another puter.. COuple questions.

My Current PC is a p3 1gig With WinXP, bout 1/2gig ram. It has a Acatel SpeedTouch USB DSL Modem (yea i know USB is bad, but all they wold give me), and am using winxp to dialup to my ISP, as the software that comes with the dsl package for dialing is not winxp compliant. I also have an old NE2000 Compatible ISAPNP Ethernet Adapter, and an ethernet cable. WinXP is pretty much a fresh install, besides the drivers and such for my dsl modem.

Couple questions.
1. I could if i asked my gf nicely have full access to an old toshiba laptop.. its like a p1 133 with 64ram or such. Would it be cheaper to get a network card for this and then use it as my linux/showeq machine then getting a really really cheap new system for it? (like VERY cheap).
2. what exactally would i need to buy/download/install to get it to work? I know i would need to get an ethernet card for the laptop. Would i need a hub or anything?
3. What software would i need to install to make the connection work? If i understand correctly a router dials into my dsl connectionm then splits it into my 2 machines. Thats good for internet surfing, but is that what i want for packet sniffing of EQ? could i just plug one ethernet card into the other and that be it?
4. Lastly, on another thread i did about getting vmware to work for seq... someone said that pppoe is very bad, and would not allow seq to work on eq. Not 100% sure i understand. Assuming i have the setup as i listed before.. would using the built in dialup dsl winxp feature thingie be bad? what can i do to work around it?
Sorry about this, but i am still really confused on networking... but i am learning fast. You guys here have been very helpful sofar, and i appreciate it.
Thanks again, and hopefully we can work this out