Thread: See I told you so....

Threaded View

See I told you so....

I had sorta given up on trying to convince the SEQ board community that playing "nice" moves the project forward and being "cute and rude/RTFM/Search" only runs folks off because frankly I figure I had lost the debate and the "cute and rude/RTFM/Search" types prevailed....and they may still.
    But if there was ever a case of "I told you so" (almost-will explain later) it is this one post"

http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/sh...&threadid=3471

After reading this post here is Piggy (A newb to the project ) that walked in and fixed SEQ. In Ratt's post asking about being a little nicer one of the arguments by the experienced great minds on the project was (I paraphrase here) "There is no way some newb is going to waltz in here and fix SEQ since we superior minded greater coders can"t do it easily" Well if piggy really has fixed it like he says that sure puts egg on you genius types faces.

Please do not mistake this as a insult to your coding abilities and all the effort you put into being great coders for that you have my utmost respect. The point I have always made is "Just because you are great or gifted in a given area do not make the mistake of believing only you can do it and your path to success is the only way". Life has taught me " no matter how great you are someone is better or smarter".

But the real "I told you so" is look at how he was treated both in IRC and in one post I could not believe was posted.

He goes in to IRC and basically guys hey "I fixed SEQ, how do I get it to the project community". Serves it up to the great minds on a silver platter and because of their elitist (no one can come in here and fix what we can not) attitudes they dump all over the guy.

Earlier in my post I typed [I told you so (almost-will explain later)] the "almost" is it did not run him off from the project as a whole as I have been pointing out was a danger of elitist/RTFM/SEARCH types controlling the atmosphere on the boards. But is sure ran him off of the IRC channel.

Piggy did not give up but then ask on the boards "Hey I fixed SEQ, how do I post it to the community"? And there is a reply I could not believe I was seeing. Blueadept replies
    "I would have to agree that waiting until after the servers come back up on monday morning might be prudent. That way there wont be a string of "Why doenst my SEQ work any more" posts if they do break it again. "

Blueadept has the audacity to reply no please don"t post the fix since it will cause some newbs to post "Why doesn"t my SEQ work any more" . That"s right it's more important to keep Blueadept from HAVING to read a "Why doesn't my SEQ work any more" that putting up a working SEQ for a day or two. Unbelieveable!

It does prove a few things I have said all along:
    1. Someone who is new to the project can waltz in here and fix SEQ when the elites could not.
    2. The rude folks will run off new talent (we are lucky he was only run off from IRC at this stage)
    3. Blueadept/rude/RTFM/Search types will dissuade even a fixed SEQ from reaching the community.

What It did not prove that I have said was it would run off new talent COMPLETEY from the project..at least piggy is still trying to post it on the boards but a few more Blueadept post and he may take his working SEQ and candy and go away and FRANKLY FROM THE RESPONSE HE RECEIVED I WOULDN'T BLAME HIM A BIT.

FLAME ON.....I know the elitist will spin this exampe of what I have said all along but then again part of being an elitist is rationalizing reality so you are NEVER proven wrong.

Last edited by Kimbler; 05-18-2003 at 06:57 AM.
    Those that perpetually scream RTFM or use the SEARCH key......Talk to the HAND!! If my questions bother you then don't respond at all, the result will be the same. You will be completely ignored.

Thread Information