Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: X using 80% CPU (Lagging SEQ)

This just started happening to me today.
    I have had SEQ 4.0 up and running on my system for a few weeks now, but today when I go to a Fear raid, it starts lagging.
    I run top and it says SEQ is taking 95% of the CPU.
    I haven't changed anything, it just started doing this.
    I tried rebooting, rezoning, logging out and back in.
    Nothing worked.
    I use Gnome and RH7.2
    Pentium 233 w/64MRam.
    Has worked great until today.
    -----------
    Zeppo

Try using a different WM and see if it the behavior continues. A lighter weight WM might free up needed resources for SEQ (e.g. icewm, windowmaker, etc..., not KDE or Gnome/Enlightenment).

I'd love to try icewm, is there a walkthrough or guide on compiling it and starting it? or is it pretty straightforward?

http://icewm.sourceforge.net

just like SEQ, read the instructions

well, I installed it, and I ran seq under it. No change...80-90 percent CPU usage randomly from X while seq is open. South Karana, splitpaw, OT, EJ, CoM, zone is largely irrelevant.

I've even tried it using TWM only. (You can't get any more simple than that...anyways, hopefully someone will figure out what is going on soon.

Yep, I have now tried Gnome, KDE, and IceWM with a fresh install of linux each time. I basically get the same results... The wierd thing is that SINS does not exhibit this problem. the same zones the same WM... Running ShowEQ, X shoots up to roughly 80 to 90 percent, when I run SINS X never exceeds about 13% and it usually stays much lower like 3 to 5 percent...

Any of the Devs have anything I could try to figure this out? I'm open to anything to help to get this flushed out... ShowEQ is usable under Gnome since the Total CPU usage is around 90%, with X taking about 80+%...

S_B_R, which Qt are you using? The one Zaphod posted?

I have been unable to recreate this problem on my machine no matter how hard I try.

Each time I re-compile a new version form the Trolltech qt-x11-2.3.2.tar.gz soure Tarball.

--- EDIT ---

I went back and looked over Zaphod's text and notice he is issuing alot more options to configure.

./configure -release -shared -gif -xft -sm -system-libmng -system-zlib -system-libpng -system-jpeg -no-g++-exceptions -thread

I have been compiling QT with -thread as the only configure option. So I'm going to give that a shot tonight...
    Last edited by S_B_R; 02-04-2002 at 02:02 PM.

One of the recommendations was to not run SEQ maximized....I tried it and it worked beautifully. I just expand it to I can't tell the difference between that and maximized and it runs smooooooth.

Anyway, it's kind of a hinky "fix", but at least there IS a fix.

I've never ran it 'maximized'....always stretched it, no difference.

i'm curious if those ./configure options helped you at all. that is a LOT of switches, and i know i personally only used the -thread option.

i loaded up top while seq had been running for a few days, and noticed X was using about 40% cpu time (on a dual cpu box, which is more like 20%). anyway, i was curios so i went ahead and rebooted the box (i had recompiled showeq, and it had been up for a while... figured i might as well) and then started seq again.

seq was using ~ 4% and X jumping between not being on top and 10% or so. silly showeq, wonder what makes it do that. also, this was with NO everquest running at all. i personally can't TELL its using that much cpu, everything is very responsive and i'm happy with the response and such.

Ok, the configure switches did help quite a bit. now X uses roughly 50% of the CPU instead of 80 to 90% as it had been. Even at 50% it still seems pretty high, but its very usable now. I wonder what else I can do...?

take the FPS down, i go to 50% when i raise FPS too high.

gonna check out those configure switches sometime and see if i can figure out why that made a diff

hmm, starting an X app makes X do stuff, seems pretty straight forward. ShowEQ has to make calls into X to get itself drawn, so X has to do some thinking.

Originally posted by Cryonic
    hmm, starting an X app makes X do stuff, seems pretty straight forward. ShowEQ has to make calls into X to get itself drawn, so X has to do some thinking.
    If you read through the thread the way X is responding is abnormal...

Thread Information