Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Easiest Linux to install on WinXP machine?

Oh yeah.
    The Hair.
    I forgot about the hairy arm and leg thing.
    That's just....
    disturbing.
    And wrong.
    So very wrong.
    -----------
    Zeppo

Hey, how about someone starting a thread on the most difficult, challenging, and/or complex Linux version to setup SEQ on?

All I know right now is that I've had "emerge gnome" compiling on this AMD K6 233 (w/128 MB of RAM, Gentoo 1.4) for almost three days now!

WHEW! That hard drive is getting a workout!

/em sneaks into Raven's house and presses ctrl-c.

Gah! Well, I thought you would throw the breaker and corrupt the file system instead

Day four and STILL compiling

Here's the line it's currently working on, anyone have any idea how far through an emerge of gnome this might be? (Don't flame me for typos, I'm looking at one screen and typing it on the other machine )

g++ -c -pipe -fno-exceptios -fPIC -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/rmp/portage/qt-3.1.2-r4/work/qt-x11-free-3.1.2/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I../interfaces -I../../../include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.moc/release-shared-mt/ -o .obj/release-shared-mt/cindent.o cindent.cpp

Whew! I'm glad I don't normally have to type in those compiler instructions!
    Last edited by RavenCT; 08-22-2003 at 05:50 PM.

Hardest version I think...

I think it would be pretty hard to compile SEQ on a Slackware system. The first Linux version I decided to play with was Slackware. Bad choice? I thought so. I haven't seen it since version 7 back in 98 I think it was. Extremely difficult. It was so hard in fact that I was detered from Linux until sometime last year about this time when I rediscovered SEQ...So I did some research and asked around and desided that RedHat was the choice for me. So over all, Slackware is my vote for hardest distro to install SEQ on(even though I have never installed SEQ on it)
    Confucius Says:
    He who posts without searching first; shall be flamed the worst!

ARRRGHHH!! After, what, five days of compiling? The "emerge gnome" FAILED! Doh! Emerged it again and it failed again!

Well, trying "emerge kde" now, don't ask about the error message, I don't remember what it was and I'm a little too drunk to care at the moment

Hopefully it won't take 5 days to error out now

If I try to remember, it was talking something about the Audio/Visual something or other, oh well...

Nothing like Trial by fire huh?

Oh, and what the hell has been going on with trying to get to Sourceforge over the last several days?

Bummer, Raven. You know...I have an Athlon 1100 sitting in a drawer that I feel like sending you out of pity. I think you can probably get a working Duron or low-end Athlon on a board with 128MB for probably $125 US. You should look into that :-)

Thread Information