Thread: Showeq 6 and Raspberry Pi 4

Hybrid View

Re: Showeq 6 and Raspberry Pi 4

Quote Originally Posted by faster100% View Post
    I agree, but I wanted the 8g and $15 more I do not care. I am sure I get bored with this someday and move on, maybe build arcade system.

Found it odd that is the only thing you saw on my post. I was hoping for more information. I guess to each is own.

Can I use the Ubuntu Desktop image from the raspberry site ?
    Heya Overkill, I agree with you, there is no such thing as too fast or too much RAM, especially for $15 more. I was running an old dell laptop (e6420 with 8gb of ram) and the machine would take 4-5 minutes to make and build showeq. I did the same thing on the pi4 with 4GB of RAM and it takes at least 10 minutes. I"m not sure what the bottleneck is, i'm thinking its probably the microSD card depending on which one you get, i'm using the one that came with the pi. I'm not sure if it could be the CPU as i haven't researched what type of CPU it has. I built my new SEQ6 laptop on a Lenovo T440 I had laying around from work (16gb of ram I think) and SSD with good fast CPU and i can build showeq in about 70 seconds, which is pretty nice (even though you only have to do it once a month lol).

But to answer some of your questions. I haven't been able to get showeq to work with any of the ubuntu images that you can flash on the Pi. I tried 20.10 (both desktop and server), 20.04.1 lts. The problem is not able to get QT4 installed since its no longer supported and removed from the official repositories. I tried adding the unofficial rock-core PPA and going that route, but I think the only version of ubuntu they have on there is for 20.04 and i couldn't get many of the qt4 packages, I think they only have one, and i couldn't get it to install. Can't get qt4-dev-tools, qt4-qmake, libqt4-declarative, etc. So I think ubuntu is probably out until SEQ7 gets here with QT5 support.

You can use it on the version that comes with the pi though. I followed blue's instructions and got it working by these commands:

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get install xdm x11-apps libx11-dev libvte9 qt4-default subversion libtool make automake libpcap-dev libxext-dev

That last one I had to install, it complained that I didn't have it when I tried without it. The original updating and upgrading took a long time! I just let it run and walked away and when I came back it was done.

Re: Showeq 6 and Raspberry Pi 4

Quote Originally Posted by kkmonte View Post
    Heya Overkill,
    I love that nickname, I am going to use it next time. : )

Thread Information